Summer in Washington, D.C. is oftentimes hot and muggy. But, for a few policy and political wonks, Summer 2018 will be a whole lot cooler as they spend time as one of the few White House interns. The White House Internship Program is now open and taking applications for their Summer 2018 term. Submissions close January 12, 2018 at 11:59 PM EDT.
The program, a long-standing tradition that spans from administration to administration, helps to engage young people in the Executive Branch’s daily activities including “conducting research, managing incoming inquiries, attending meetings, writing memos, and staffing events.” Once selected, interns will participate in the program from May 30 to August 10.
Applications will be judged on three criteria:
- A commitment to public service
- Demonstrated leadership in the community
- A commitment to the mission of the Trump Administration
Applicants must have at least one of three prerequisites to apply:
- They must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a two- or four-year institution;
- They must have graduated from an undergraduate or graduate program at a two- or four-year institution no more than two years before the internship start date;
- Or, they must be a veteran with a high school diploma (or GED) who has served on active duty during the two years before the internship start date
Those interested can find more information and apply at the White House’s website.
By J.G. Noll