Minnesota Democratic Party staffer under fire for calling USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul a 'murder boat'

news

The USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul is launched from the Fincantieri Marinette Marine Shipyard in Marinette, Wis., on Saturday, June 15, 2019.

(Lockheed Martin photo)

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said Tuesday he is appalled by a state DFL Party staff member's tweet referring to the recently-launched USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul as a "murder boat."

"Certainly, the disrespect shown is beyond the pale," said Walz, who served in the Army National Guard.

William Davis, who has been the DFL Party's research director and deputy communications director, made the controversial comment in response to a tweet about the launch of a new Navy combat ship in Wisconsin: "But actually, I think it's gross they're using the name of our fine cities for a murder boat," Davis wrote on Twitter over the weekend.


The comment prompted a quick backlash, and Davis apologized and deleted the tweet.

He later posted on social media, "I have nothing but respect for all the soldiers of our country, including the Navy which my Grandpa and 5 uncles served. It should go without saying that I was talking about a weapon of war that we continue pumping billions of dollars and manpower into."

Walz, speaking to reporters Tuesday, added his outrage over Davis's original tweet, saying "There are those that use the military for political points on this, and this is not the place to express your opinion when it comes to the christening of a ship that will have our naval personnel on it."

When asked whether Davis should be suspended, Walz declined to comment on a human resources issue. But he added, "Not as governor, but as a veteran and Minnesotan — not acceptable."

The DFL has removed Davis from the communications role, but he will continue as research director.

"I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the tweet sent by one of our employees. It was unacceptable and does not reflect my own feelings or those of the Minnesota DFL," DFL Party Chairman Ken Martin said in a statement. "The staffer who sent the tweet has apologized and deleted his Twitter account. Going forward, he will no longer be engaging in public-facing communications on behalf of our party."

Minnesota Republican Party Chairwoman Jennifer Carnahan called the tweet "abhorrent" and said in a statement that it is disappointing to have people minimize the work of the military. She noted this is the second time in a year that Davis's social media posts have caused problems.

He was previously suspended for a week without pay after a tweet about bringing Republicans "to the guillotines" following Election Day.

———

©2019 the Star Tribune (Minneapolis). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.

On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.

Read More Show Less

Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.

Read More Show Less

After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.

The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.

But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.

Read More Show Less
This photo taken on Oct. 7, 2018, shows a billboard that reads "The State Central Navy Testing Range" near residential buildings in the village of Nyonoksa, northwestern Russia. The Aug. 8, 2019, explosion of a rocket engine at the Russian navy's testing range just outside Nyonoksa led to a brief spike in radiation levels and raised new questions about prospective Russian weapons. (AP Photo/Sergei Yakovlev)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty

Three U.S. diplomats have been removed from a train and briefly questioned by Russian authorities in the sensitive Arctic shipyard city of Severodvinsk, near the site of a mysterious explosion in August that killed five nuclear workers.

Russia's Interfax news agency reported on October 16 that the diplomats were taken off the train that runs between Severodvinsk and Nyonoksa around 6 p.m. on October 14.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. Coast Guard had ordered the owner of an illegal 45-foot charter boat, named "Sea You Twerk," to stop operating.

He didn't, the Coast Guard said.

Now, Dallas Lad, 38, will serve 30 days in federal prison, a judge ruled Friday. When he is released, Ladd of Miami Beach, who pleaded guilty, will not be able to own or go on a boat for three years.

Read More Show Less