A Minnesota National Guard recruit is under investigation for his alleged ties to a white supremacist group

news
Soldiers with the Minnesota National Guard Soldiers assist the Minneapolis Police Department with security efforts for Super Bowl 52. (Minnesota National Guard/Sgt. Luther Talks)

A 19-year-old Minnesota National Guard recruit is being investigated for alleged ties to a white supremacist group.

The unnamed serviceman from Chaska, Minn., was exposed as a part of a leak of internet chat logs in March, the Star Tribune reported.


The man made posts in a a chat room on Discord — an app created for use by gamers, but also increasingly used by members of the far-right — to communicate with members of the white supremacist, anti-immigration group called Identity Evropa between October 2017 and February 2019.

The messages posted in Identity Evropa's Discord chat named "Nice Respectable People Group" were leaked by Unicorn Riot, a non-profit media organization "dedicated to exposing root causes of dynamic social and environmental issues."

Unicorn Riot obtained "hundreds of thousands" of messages from neo-Nazi and white supremacist chat servers in Discord after the 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Va., resulted in the death of counter-protester Heather Heyer. The organization's goal is to open "far-right activity centers to public scrutiny through data journalism."

The Star Tribune reported that the man has denied being a member of the group, but on Oct. 11, 2017 he wrote "Great to finally join up with IE" and exactly a year later, wrote "Operation Evropa."

Under the alias "Hyphenstein," the man wrote about his plans to attend Identity Evropa's "Defend the Rockies!" anti-immigration rally in Colorado, writing "I've been sold on Denver, will register tomorrow" on Oct. 10, 2018. Three weeks later he asked the members to wish him luck on his "long drive" to Colorado.

Earlier this year, he talked of joining the military and expectations that he would quickly rise through the ranks in the National Guard.

On Feb. 24, 2019, he made his last post in the Discord chat.

"Last day in Minnesota before army basic training. Wish I could have made it to LoPF19. Looks like a lot of fun!" the man wrote, referencing the national Identity Evropa "Leading Our People Forward" conference in Kentucky.

He currently holds the rank of private and attended basic training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. He was recalled to Minnesota in April and is now under investigation, a Minnesota National Guard spokesman told the Star Tribune.

So far, the man's name has not been revealed because the Guard is still investigating and he has not been charged with a crime.

Identity Evropa, which rebranded itself as American Identity Movement after its Discord messages were leaked, is identified as a white supremacist organization by the Anti-Defamation League and is designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Minneapolis Army recruiting manager Sgt. Maj. Shawn Kor told the Star Tribune the man was required to disclose any affiliation with groups like Identity Evropa at multiple points during his recruitment process and again during his final pre-recruitment interview, but never did.

"This individual's check came back just fine," Kor told the Star Tribune — evidence that people with white supremacist ties can and often do slip under the radar in any profession.

———

©2019 New York Daily News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: 7 US Service Members Identified As Part Of White Nationalist Group Tied To 2017 Charlottesville Rally

WATCH NEXT: How White Supremacists Target Military Veterans For Recruitment

Soldiers deploy concertina wire in a location along the Southwest border of the United States near Hidalgo, Texas. U.S. Army North is deployed to the southwest border under the authority of U.S. Northern Command to support the Department of Homeland Security and the Customs and Border Protection's mission to secure the border. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol)

The Defense Department's Inspector General's Office has launched an "evaluation" of the deployment of active-duty and National Guard troops to the southern border, a news release said Tuesday.

"We will examine, among other issues, what they are doing at the border, what training they received, and whether their use complied with applicable law, DoD policy, and operating guidance," said Glenn Fine, the principal deputy inspector general performing the duties of the inspector general, in the release.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo)

Gold Star family members might finally see an end to the so-called "Widows Tax" thanks to the National Defense Authorization Act of 2020.

Read More Show Less
Saudi Arabia Defense Attache Major General Fawaz Al Fawaz and his Embassy staff and other officials arrive to meet with the Saudi students who remain restricted to the Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola base by their Saudi commanding officer, in Pensacola, Florida, U.S. December 9, 2019.( FBI Jacksonville/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly 175 Saudi Arabian military aviation students have been grounded as part of a "safety stand-down" after a Saudi Air Force lieutenant shot and killed three people last week at a U.S. Navy base in Florida, U.S. officials told Reuters on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Photo: U.S. Army/Spc. Valencia McNeal

The number of substantiated allegations of sexual misconduct against senior Army officials increased this year, according to an Army Inspector General report recently presented to service leaders and obtained by Task & Purpose.

The document, which lays out broad details of IG investigations undertaken in fiscal year 2019, looks at investigations specific to senior Army officials, which includes "promotable colonels, general officers and senior executives," according to Army spokesman Lt. Col. Emanuel Ortiz.

Read More Show Less
A U.S. Marine with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) carries cold weather equipment as he begins to march across the Icelandic terrain October 19, 2018. (U.S. Air Force/Capt. Kylee Ashton)

MONS, Belgium (Reuters) - The United States will send 20,000 troops to Europe next April and May in its biggest military exercises on European soil since the Cold War to underscore Washington's commitment to NATO, a senior allied commander said on Tuesday.

Days after a NATO summit in London at which U.S. President Donald Trump called low-spending European allies "delinquent", U.S. Major General Barre Seguin said the exercises, centered on Germany, will be the largest of their kind in 25 years.

"This really demonstrates transatlantic unity and the U.S. commitment to NATO," Seguin, who oversees allied operations from NATO's military headquarters in Belgium, told Reuters.

Read More Show Less