Airman at Minot AFB arrested over hundreds of child porn images, sexual messages with minors

popular
An entrance gate at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. Photo: Air Force/Airman 1st Class Alyssa M. Akers

A former airman has been charged with receiving and distributing child pornography after investigators found more than 600 files of sexually explicit digital images and video in his possession, Justice and Defense Department officials told Task & Purpose.


Former Airman 1st Class Carl Dean, who left the Air Force last month, is currently in jail for violating the terms of his bond, said Justice Department spokesman Terry Van Horn.

After Dean was indicted on child pornography charges in September and released on bond, investigators found even more child pornography on his phone two months later, according to an Air Force Office of Special Investigations affidavit viewed by Task & Purpose.

Dean, who joined the service in Dec. 2016, came under suspicion in March 2018 when Detective Krista Mattice from the Minot, North Dakota Police Department received a cyber tip from the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigations, informing her that Google had identified two files of potential child pornography found in an email account belonging to Dean, the affidavit said.

The files found were described in the affidavit as "A1" images, containing "sexually explicit conduct...masturbation, sadistic or masochistic abuse, degradation, or any such depiction that lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value of a prepubescent minor."

At the time, Dean was an active-duty airman living on base at Minot Air Force Base. AFOSI agents seized electronic files from Dean in a search of his residence, and in a March 2018 interview, according to the documents, Dean told investigators he had a "passing" interest in pedophilia, which grew into sexual interest in young children. He told AFOSI that he "did not get aroused" by child pornography, but "had a large collection" of it, the affidavit said.

Fast-forward to June 2018, when Mattice informed AFOSI that she had received additional cyber-tips regarding Dean's social media accounts. In a search warrant executed a couple of weeks later, "extremely graphic and perverse" conversations on Facebook were found between Dean — who was using a profile under the name "Cynthia Qwaser" — and two other accounts. "Cynthia" was a name that Dean had used to create "many" Gmail accounts, the affidavit said.

In these conversations, the parties allegedly discussed sexual acts involving children, and exchanged extremely graphic photos depicting sexual acts between prepubescent girls and adult men.

In July, investigators say they were able to access the electronic media that was taken from Dean in March, which included more than 600 files of child pornography, as well as Instagram messages that he exchanged under a female identity with an account that was found to belong to a 12-year-old boy.

The messages included "graphic images," the affidavit states, adding that Dean asked the boy to send him videos of himself masturbating, which the boy did. Dean then allegedly blackmailed the boy, saying he would share the video with the boy's mom and Facebook friends unless he "entered his young sister's room with [his] smartphone camera" and touched her.

Investigators also say they found three sexual videos that Dean received via Instagram from an underage girl.

Dean was indicted in September, but allowed out on bond under the supervision of the U.S. Probation Office and restricted to Minot AFB, according to Van Horn.

But on December 4, 2018, the affidavit said AFOSI was informed by a Probation and Pretrial Service Officer that she "received several photographs from Dean's leadership" of "computer related items which appeared suspicious" in his on-base residence. Investigators subsequently found more pornographic videos on his phone, of which several "appeared to be cartoons which depicted children engaged in sexual activity."

Dean was arrested the next day, Van Horn told Task & Purpose. He will remain in detention until his trial, scheduled for June 3, 2019.

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

In the wake of a heartwarming viral video that was featured everywhere from Good Morning America to the Daily Mail comes a disheartening revelation: The 84-year-old self-described Army nurse cranking out push-ups in her crisp Vietnam-era uniform might not be who she said she was.

Maggie DeSanti, allegedly a retired Army lieutenant colonel who rappeled out of helicopters in Vietnam, was captured in a video challenging a TSA agent to a push-up competition ahead of a flight to Washington, D.C., with the Arizona chapter of the organization Honor Flight on Oct. 16. The video soon was everywhere, and many who shared it, including Honor Flight, hailed DeSanti's toughness and spirit.

Read More Show Less

The summer before sixth grade, Cindy Dawson went to an air show with her father and was enamored by the flight maneuvers the pilots performed.

"I just thought that would be the coolest thing that anybody could ever do," she said, especially having already heard stories about her grandfather flying bombers during World War II with the Army Air Corps.

So by the first day of school, she had already decided what she wanted to be when she grew up.

Read More Show Less
(ABC News)

Peach schnapps, sex on the beach, and piña colada may be familiar drinks to anyone who's spent an afternoon (or a whole day) getting plastered on an ocean-side boardwalk, but they're also specialty desserts at Ray's Boozy Cupcakes, Etc, a bakery in Voorhees, New Jersey run by a 93-year-old World War II veteran named Ray Boutwell.

Read More Show Less
Instagram/US Coast Guard

A former senior Coast Guard official has been accused of shoplifting from a Philadelphia sex shop.

Rear Adm. Francis "Stash" Pelkowski (Ret.) was accused of stealing a tester item from Kink Shoppe on Oct. 8, according to an Instagram post by the store that appeared online two days later. In the post, which included apparent security camera footage of the incident, a man can be seen looking at products on a counter before picking up an item and placing it in his pocket before turning and walking away.

The Instagram post identified the man as Pelkowski, and said it wished him "all the best in his retirement, a sincere thank you for your service, and extreme and utter disappointment in his personal morals."

Read More Show Less

SAN DIEGO —The Marines say changes in the way they train recruits and their notoriously hard-nosed drill instructors have led to fewer incidents of drill instructor misconduct, officials told the Union-Tribune.

Their statement about training followed an Oct. 5 Washington Post report revealing that more than 20 Marines at the San Diego boot camp have been disciplined for misconduct since 2017, including cases of physical attacks and racist and homophobic slurs. The story also was published in the Union-Tribune.

Read More Show Less