Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Missing Camp Pendleton Marine taken into custody in Texas
A Camp Pendleton Marine who was believed to be headed back to the base from Arizona on Monday, but never arrived, was found safe in Texas Saturday night, military officials said.
Lance Cpl. Job Wallace, 20, was taken into custody by Naval Criminal Investigative Service and law enforcement officers at a rest area in Navarro County, according to Kurt Thomas, special agent in charge of the NCIS Marine Corps West field office.
Thomas did not offer details of how Wallace was found or what he was doing there.
Wallace's family became concerned when he failed to arrive back at Camp Pendleton after a three-day leave at home west of Phoenix and on a camping trip, his mother said in an Associated Press story.
She said he had been promoted recently and was eager to return to base. He left a friend's home in Surprise, Ariz., on Monday night.
His mother said law enforcement officials told her that her son's cellphone was pinged that night in Arizona, but a Border Patrol camera caught his truck the next morning heading east on Interstate 10 near Fort Hancock, Texas, southeast of El Paso. Police in Surprise turned the case over to NCIS.
"We offer our sincere gratitude to the local police departments in Texas and Arizona, as well as our federal partners, for their aid in bringing this to a safe resolution," Thomas said in a statement issued Saturday night.
©2019 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.
"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.
In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Defense Secretary Mark Esper has confirmed that a nightmare scenario has come to pass: Captured ISIS fighters are escaping as a result of Turkey's invasion of Kurdish-held northeast Syria.
Turkey's incursion has led to "the release of many dangerous ISIS detainees," Esper said in a statement on Monday.
Video footage of a purported "bombing of Kurd civilians" by Turkish military forces shown on ABC News appeared to be a nighttime firing of tracer rounds at a Kentucky gun range.
The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.
On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.