Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Most Recent American KIA In Afghanistan Reflects Military’s Evolving Mission
The Department of Defense has identified the Army Green Beret killed in Afghanistan on Nov. 4 as Sgt. 1st Class Stephen Cribben, a 33-year-old senior communications sergeant assigned to 2nd Battalion 10th Special Forces Group out of Fort Carson, Colorado.
Cribben died of wounds sustained while conducting operations in Logar province, Army Times reports, bringing the total number of troops killed in Afghanistan so far this year to 13. Of those, 11 were killed in combat. The incident is currently under investigation.
This year has seen a slight increase in U.S. casualties in Afghanistan from 2016, during which a total of 9 American service members died as a result of hostile actions. There were 10 U.S. KIAs in the country in 2015, 6 of whom were killed on Dec. 21 in the district of Bagram by a single suicide bomber. Now in its 16th year, the Afghan War has claimed the lives of more than 2,400 American service members, according to the website iCasualties, which tracks U.S. casualties of the War on Terror.
The locations of U.S. casualties in recent years reflect the shifting focus of the U.S. military effort in Afghanistan, as special operations troops more aggressively pursue ISIS targets in the country’s east while conventional forces continue training and advising Afghan national army soldiers to combat a resurgent Taliban elsewhere. For example, Logar, where Cribben was killed, is about 50 miles south of Kabul, suggesting that the Pentagon is following through with its plan to embed U.S. forces closer to the front lines.
It also seems that offensive operations are becoming increasingly concentrated in fewer areas. In 2016, troop fatalities occurred throughout the country, in the provinces of Kunduz, Nangarhar, Helmand, Parwan, Kandahar, and Kabul. This year, seven U.S. service members were killed in Nangarhar, an ISIS stronghold, alone. Two others were killed in Kandahar, and another in Helmand. Cribben is the first American to die in combat in Logar since the spring of 2014.
The Taliban has flourished since NATO combat mission officially ended in Afghanistan in late 2014, seizing huge swaths of the country and inflicting massive casualties on both Afghan national forces and the civilian population. And in August, amid reports from Pentagon officials that the Afghan War had reached a stalemate, President Donald Trump announced that the military was again ramping up operations against insurgent forces in the country, including ISIS, which established a foothold in Nangarhar in early 2015.
“We are not nation building again,” Trump told a large military audience at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Virginia in August. “We are killing terrorists.”
The president also vowed to “lift restrictions and expand authorities” for troops as their numbers in the country increased by several thousand. As The New York Times noted in late October, there are currently 9,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan — officially. However, the unofficial account might be closer to 12,000.
As a Special Forces soldier, Cribben may not have been included in that official count. A native of Rawlins, Wyoming, Cribben enlisted in the Army in 2002 and served as a military police officer until attending Special Forces Assessment and Selection course November 2011, according to Army Times.
He graduated from the Special Forces Qualification Course in December 2014, and was on his third combat deployment when he died. His previous tours — to Afghanistan in 2006 and Iraq in 2007 — were as an MP.
“On behalf of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, we offer our deepest condolences to the family of our fallen brother,” Gen. John Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces Afghanistan, said in a statement. “Despite this tragic event, we remain steadfast in our commitment to the Afghan people and to support them in our mutual fight against terrorism.”
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.
After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.
But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.
That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.
After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.
"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."
SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.
Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.