That Moment A Guardsman Realized: 'If My Unit Sees That, I'm Dead'

Mandatory Fun
Twitter

In the age of viral infamy, there’s now something more terrifying for a junior service member than showing up on the local police blotter: Having a moment of jackassery — or in this case, bigotry — blasted over the internet.


For one Indiana National Guardsman, that appears to have become a reality after a video showing a man yelling racial slurs after a brawl at a ballgame at Chicago’s Wrigley Field went viral on Twitter. Sure enough, the incident garnered the attention of the Indiana National Guard, reports Stars and Stripes.

The incident, which took place after a Chicago Cubs game on Sept. 24, began making the rounds online after Twitter user Danny Rockett uploaded a pair of clips, one showing attendees brawling in the bleachers, and another showing a man yelling the slurs after the two groups were separated.

In the video, you can see the exact moment when the man hurling racial epithets catches sight of the camera. As his friend tries to pull him away, he realizes he’s being recorded, points, and says: “don’t record me!” A few moments later, a voice is heard saying "if my unit sees that, I'm dead,” although it’s unclear whether it’s the same man, or a different person.

The surprise and fear is apparent; all that’s missing is a clear narration of his inner monologue. Fortunately, someone went ahead and added that so we didn’t have to:

Though the Indiana National Guard did not publicly identify the man yelling in the video, the service did confirm that a National Guardsman was involved in the incident, and that an investigation is underway.

"Statements attributed to this soldier do not reflect the views and beliefs of the Indiana National Guard and are not in keeping with the Army Values," reads an Indiana National Guard press release provided to Task & Purpose.

"While we have an investigation underway, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on this specific case," Indiana Adjutant General, Maj. Gen. Courtney P. Carr, said in the statement. "However, our focus on values, especially the value of respect, and our effort to celebrate diversity is clear and steadfast. We expect all of our soldiers and airmen to embody the value of respect. We do not, and will not, tolerate behavior contrary to our values."

The parties involved in the altercation were escorted from the stadium, according to a statement from the Cubs provided to News 8. No charges were filed, or arrests made, though the ballpark has barred the participants from attending games there for the rest of the year. However, the man in the video using “inappropriate language” will likely be banned from Wrigley Field indefinitely.

UPDATE: 9.27.2018; 3:02 pm: This article has been updated with additional information from the Indiana National Guard.

The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

At least four American veterans were among a group of eight men arrested by police in Haiti earlier this week for driving without license plates and possessing an arsenal of weaponry and tactical gear.

Police in Port-au-Prince arrested five Americans, two Serbians, and one Haitian man at a police checkpoint on Sunday, according to The Miami-Herald. The men told police they were on a "government mission" but did not specify for which government, according to The Herald.

They also told police that "their boss was going to call their boss," implying that someone high in Haiti's government would vouch for them and secure their release, Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles told NPR.

What they were actually doing or who they were potentially working for remains unclear. A State Department spokesperson told Task & Purpose they were aware that Haitian police arrested a "group of individuals, including some U.S. citizens," but declined to answer whether the men were employed by or operating under contract with the U.S. government.

Read More Show Less

A Coast Guard lieutenant arrested this week planned to "murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country," according to a court filing requesting he be detained until his trial.

Read More Show Less
(Getty Images/Spencer Grant)

(Reuters Health) - Military service members who are at risk for suicide may be less likely to attempt to harm themselves when they receive supportive text messages, a U.S. study suggests.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less