A U.S. Navy sailor puffs e-cigarette smoke out of her nose as she takes a smoking break aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier, Friday, Sept. 11, 2015.
Assocaited Press photo by Marko Drobnjakovic
Well, vape ‘em if you’ve got ‘em. Quickly.
The Navy just announced that it will no longer allow service members to bring electronic cigarettes onto its ships, submarines, aircraft, boats, and other heavy equipment — sorry, Seabees, that probably goes for your bulldozers, too.
For a service that’s defined by maritime operations, a ban on vaping — inhaling the vapor created by an electronic cigarette — while underway is sure to hit a lot of sailors and Marines hard. Thanks to e-cigs, smokers finally had a chance to get their nicotine highs indoors, without facing the scorn and disgust levelled at fans of chewing tobacco. Alas, no more.
"The Fleet commanders implemented this policy to protect the safety and welfare of Sailors and to protect the ships, submarines, aircraft and equipment," the joint statement said.
The lithium-ion batteries of some e-cigarettes, it turns out, have been known to explode. According to a Navy memorandum issued last fall, 15 "mishaps" related to e-cig batteries, causing injury to service members or damage to property, occurred between fall 2015 and the following summer.
The vaping ban will go into effect on May 14 and “remain in effect until a final determination can be made following a thorough analysis,” according to the statement. However, sailors can still vape to the their hearts’ and lungs’ content while on base, as long as they do it in a designated smoking area; so much for vaping indoors.
Screenshot via Twitter
Task & Purpose reached out for comment on the new Navy policy to two well-known vaping enthusiasts: Grover Norquist, the founder and president of Americans for Tax Reform;
Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.
Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.
It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)
U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.
However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.
The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.
Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).