Another Jury Deadlocks Over Former CO Charged With Attempted Rape

news

A jury announced Monday that it could not agree on whether a Navy commander assaulted and tried to rape a junior officer in her San Diego home.


Jurors voted 10-2 in favor of convicting John Michael Neuhart II of attempted rape and 7-5 for conviction on a charge of assault with intent to commit rape during a burglary.

They were divided 2-10, with the majority in favor of acquittal, on a charge of resisting or delaying an officer.

It was the second time a Superior Court jury has deadlocked on charges in the case. In December, a different panel voted 11-1 in favor of finding Neuhart guilty of the most serious charges. The judge declared a mistrial.

Neuhart, 41, is accused of forcing his way into the woman’s home, tearing off her jeans and trying to rape her after a night of heavy drinking in downtown San Diego on Sept. 12, 2016. The woman testified that Neuhart didn’t stop his assault until her repeated screams drew the attention of a neighbor.

When the neighbor shouted into the residence that he had a gun, Neuhart ran out a back door and into a canyon where he fell and broke his leg. Police officers weren’t far behind, and arrested Neuhart soon after.

The Navy commander, however, said that the woman, who had been under his command in Guam, had given him permission to come to her home and have sex.

The two had repeatedly hugged and kissed each other earlier in the night, according to surveillance footage from a hotel they visited and testimony from a hired SUV driver that took them to the woman’s apartment.

The driver also said, however, that the woman also yelled “stop!” several times at the defendant.

Neuhart, who has since been suspended from his command, said when they arrived at the woman’s residence, she took her own pants off and that he never touched her private parts.

He also said that he believed the aggressive foreplay, although bizarre, was consensual. He said the woman told him earlier in the night that if she said “no” to him, she meant “yes.”

At one point during the encounter, Neuhart started recording with his cellphone, which was set up to face the back door of the woman’s house.

In the video, the woman can be heard repeatedly screaming at Neuhart to leave and to stop pounding on the door. Soon after, she lets him in. She can then be heard saying, “Why would you want a woman who doesn’t want you?”

Neuhart said he recorded the video in case she claimed he raped her.

———

©2018 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

After more than a decade and billions spent developing the consistently troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Air Force is eyeing a new variant of the F-15 — much to lawmakers' dismay.

Read More Show Less
Islamic state members walk in the last besieged neighborhood in the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria February 18, 2019. (Reuters/Rodi Said)

NEAR BAGHOUZ, Syria (Reuters) - The Islamic State appeared closer to defeat in its last enclave in eastern Syria on Wednesday, as a civilian convoy left the besieged area where U.S.-backed forces estimate a few hundred jihadists are still holed up.

Read More Show Less
Russian President Vladimir Putin fires a fortress cannon. (Associated Press/Sputnik/Alexei Druzhinin)

Russian President Vladimir Putin warned Wednesday that Russia will target the U.S. with new weapons should Washington decide to deploy intermediate-range ballistic missiles (ICBMs) to Europe following the recent death of a Cold War-era arms control agreement, according to multiple reports.

He threatened to target not only the host countries where U.S. missiles might be stationed but also decision-making centers in the U.S.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force Airmen assigned to the 317th Airlift Wing walk to waiting family members and friends after stepping off of a C-130J Super Hercules at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, Sept. 17, 2018 (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Mercedes Porter)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has issued new guidelines for active-duty, reserve and National Guard airmen who are considered non-deployable, and officials will immediately begin flagging those who have been unable to deploy for 12 consecutive months for separation consideration.

Read More Show Less
Pictured left to right: Pedro Pascal ("Catfish"), Garrett Hedlund ("Ben"), Charlie Hunnam ("Ironhead"), and Ben Affleck ("Redfly") Photo Courtesy of Netflix

A new trailer for Netflix's Triple Frontier dropped last week, and it looks like a gritty mash-up of post-9/11 war dramas Zero Dark Thirty and Hurt Locker and crime thrillers Narcos and The Town.

Read More Show Less