Navy, Coast Guard Call Off Search For Normandy Sailor Who Went Overboard

news

The Navy and Coast Guard have called off search-and-rescue efforts after a sailor went overboard from the USS Normandy on Tuesday afternoon.


The guided-missile cruiser, which is based in Norfolk, Va., was conducting a training mission approximately 80 nautical miles off the coast of North Carolina when the incident took place, said Lt. Commander Brian Wierzbicki, a Fleet Forces Command spokesman.

Petty Officer Christopher Clavin, 23, of Lincoln, R.I., who served as a fire controlman aboard the Normandy, was identified in the press as the missing sailor by his mother on Thursday.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of our shipmate,” Capt. Derek Trinque, the Normandy’s commander, said in a statement. “He was an important part of the team and a friend to so many on board.”

Members of the Normandy crew witnessed Clavin fall overboard about 3 p.m. Tuesday, prompting an immediate search that included the assistance of the USS Abraham Lincoln, USCGC Forward, USS Bainbridge, USS The Sullivans and USS Mason.

Before the search was called off, the Navy and Coast Guard spent nearly 76 hours and covered 6,300 square miles of ocean looking for Clavin, a Navy statement said.

“We are not alone in our grief,” Trinque said. “Our hearts and thoughts are also with Chris’s mother, sister and his entire family.”

Adm. Phil Davidson, U..S. Fleet Forces commander, said he was proud of the search efforts.

“Our thoughts are with our lost shipmate, his family, and the officers and crew of USS Normandy,” he said.

An investigation into the incident is underway.

———

©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

U.S. Navy photo
(U.S. Air Force)

Two airmen were administratively punished for drinking at the missile launch control center for 150 nuclear LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming, the Air Force confirmed to Task & Purpose on Friday.

Read More Show Less

Two F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters recently flew a mission in the Middle East in "beast mode," meaning they were loaded up with as much firepower as they could carry.

The F-35s with the 4th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron took off from Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates to execute a mission in support of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, Air Forces Central Command revealed. The fifth-generation fighters sacrificed their high-end stealth to fly with a full loadout of weaponry on their wings.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photos)

The U.S. Senate closed out the week before Memorial Day by confirming Gen. James McConville as the Army's new chief of staff and Adm. Bill Moran as the Navy's new chief of naval operations.

McConville, previously vice chief of staff of the Army, was confirmed on Thursday along with his successor, Lt Gen. Joseph Marin. Moran, currently vice chief of naval operations, was confirmed Friday along with his successor, Vice Adm. Robert Burke.

Read More Show Less

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is prohibiting service members who work there from being in the area of a Ku Klux Klan rally scheduled for Saturday in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/Elise Amendola)

The Pentagon is producing precisely diddly-squat in terms of proof that Iran is behind recent attacks in the Middle East, requiring more U.S. troops be sent to the region.

Adm. Michael Gilday, director of the Joint Staff, said on Friday that the U.S. military is extending the deployment of about 600 troops with four Patriot missile batteries already in the region and sending close to 1,000 other service members to the Middle East in response to an Iranian "campaign" against U.S. forces.

Read More Show Less