Incredible Photos Reveal How Close A Chinese Warship Came To Colliding With A US Destroyer In The South China Sea

news

A Chinese destroyer challenged a U.S. Navy warship in an "unsafe and unprofessional" encounter in the tense South China Sea Sunday.


The Chinese ship, reportedly the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) Type 052C Luyang II-class guided-missile destroyer Lanzhou (170), part of the Chinese navy's South Sea Fleet, took on the U.S. Navy's Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Decatur (DDG-73) during a close approach near Gaven Reef in the disputed Spratly Islands.

The Chinese vessel "conducted a series of increasingly aggressive maneuvers accompanied by warnings" for the U.S. Navy ship to "leave the area," Pacific Fleet revealed in an official statement Monday. U.S. Navy photos first obtained by gCaptain and confirmed to CNN by three American officials show just how close the Chinese destroyer got to the U.S. ship. (The USS Decatur is pictured left, and the Chinese destroyer is on the right)

&ref;_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fnavy-photos-show-tense-us-china-standoff-in-south-china-sea-2018-10

The USS Decatur was forced to maneuver out of the way to avoid a collision with the Chinese vessel, which reportedly came within 45 yards of the American ship, although the pictures certainly look a lot closer to the 45 feet originally reported.

Ankit Panda, foreign policy expert and a senior editor at The Diplomat, called the incident "the PLAN's most direct and dangerous attempt to interfere with lawful U.S. Navy navigation in the South China Sea to date."

&ref;_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fnavy-photos-show-tense-us-china-standoff-in-south-china-sea-2018-10

China condemned the U.S. for its operations in the South China Sea, where China is attempting to bolster its claims through increased militarization. The US does not recognize Chinese claims, which were previously discredited by an international tribunal.

Beijing said the U.S. "repeatedly sends military ships without permission close to South China Seas islands, seriously threatening China's sovereignty and security, seriously damaging Sino-U.S. military ties and seriously harming regional peace and stability," adding that the Chinese military is opposed to this behavior.

The latest incident followed a series of U.S. Air Force B-52H Stratofortress long-range bomber flights through the East and South China Sea. Beijing called the flights "provocative," but Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis insisted that the flights would not mean anything if China had not militarized the waterway.

"If it was 20 years ago and had they not militarized those features there it would have been just another bomber on its way to Diego Garcia or wherever," he said last Wednesday.

Read more from Business Insider:

WATCH NEXT:

(U.S. Air Force)

Two airmen were administratively punished for drinking at the missile launch control center for 150 nuclear LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming, the Air Force confirmed to Task & Purpose on Friday.

Read More Show Less

Two F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters recently flew a mission in the Middle East in "beast mode," meaning they were loaded up with as much firepower as they could carry.

The F-35s with the 4th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron took off from Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates to execute a mission in support of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, Air Forces Central Command revealed. The fifth-generation fighters sacrificed their high-end stealth to fly with a full loadout of weaponry on their wings.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photos)

The U.S. Senate closed out the week before Memorial Day by confirming Gen. James McConville as the Army's new chief of staff and Adm. Bill Moran as the Navy's new chief of naval operations.

McConville, previously vice chief of staff of the Army, was confirmed on Thursday along with his successor, Lt Gen. Joseph Marin. Moran, currently vice chief of naval operations, was confirmed Friday along with his successor, Vice Adm. Robert Burke.

Read More Show Less

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is prohibiting service members who work there from being in the area of a Ku Klux Klan rally scheduled for Saturday in downtown Dayton, Ohio.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press/Elise Amendola)

The Pentagon is producing precisely diddly-squat in terms of proof that Iran is behind recent attacks in the Middle East, requiring more U.S. troops be sent to the region.

Adm. Michael Gilday, director of the Joint Staff, said on Friday that the U.S. military is extending the deployment of about 600 troops with four Patriot missile batteries already in the region and sending close to 1,000 other service members to the Middle East in response to an Iranian "campaign" against U.S. forces.

Read More Show Less