Navy Fires Warning Shots At Iranian Ships In 3rd Close Call In 2 Days

news
The patrol craft USS Squall (PC 7) steams in the Arabian Gulf acting as a small boat threat toward guided-missile destroyer USS Mitscher (DDG 57) during a simulated strait transit while participating in Spartan Kopis (SK) 15-01.
U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Anthony R. Martinez

A U.S. Navy ship fired three warning shots Wednesday to fend off Iranian fast boats’ harassing behavior in the northern Persian Gulf in a third incident of “unprofessional” Iranian actions near American warships in two days, a Pentagon spokesman said.


The USS Squall, a coastal patrol ship, fired the shots into the water after other standard methods to de-escalate the situation -- including firing warning flares and attempting to make radio contact -- failed, said Peter Cook, the Pentagon press secretary.

The USS Tempest, a Cyclone-class patrol ship, was also harassed in the same incident in which the Iranian boats sped to within about 200 yards of the American vessels.

It was one of three “unsafe and unprofessional” encounters Tuesday and Wednesday with Iranian ships in the region, Cook said.

On Tuesday, four Iranian gunboats sped within 300 yards of the U.S. guided-missile destroyer USS Nitze in the Strait of Hormuz. On Wednesday, the USS Stout, another destroyer, was harassed by Iranian warships, apparently the same vessels that approached the Squall, Cook said.

“These were incidents that the crews deemed unsafe,” he told reporters Thursday at the Pentagon. “These are incidents that carry a risk of escalation and we don’t desire any kind of escalation. Our ships have been operating in that part of the world for years.”

But Iran’s defense minister warned that Iranian forces would respond to any foreign ships entering its territorial waters.

“If any foreign vessel enters our waters, we will give them a warning, and if it is an act of aggression, we will confront them,” Gen. Hosein Dehghan told Iranian media Thursday.

Cook said all of the incidents occurred in international waters that cannot be claimed by the Iranians. Their actions, he added, “serve no purpose other than to raise tensions in an important part of the world.”

“We are conducting ourselves … in a safe and professional manner and we will continue to do that,” Cook said. American sailors “will continue to take the steps they need to protect themselves, their ships and our interests in the region.”

The incidents are just the latest in a series of recent tense encounters between the two nations. According to the Navy, roughly 10 percent of its encounters with Iranian ships since the beginning of 2015 have been unsafe and unprofessional.

In January, the Iranian navy captured 10 crewmembers from two American patrol boats that strayed into Iranian waters. Iran held the sailors overnight before releasing them in an embarrassing incident for the Navy that led to disciplinary action for several servicemembers involved.

———

©2016 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Dylan McKay

A U.S. Navy aircrew has been rescued after their MH-60S helicopter went down into the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

Read More
Photo: Fort Jackson Public Affairs

A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.

Read More

The Veterans of Foreign Wars has demanded an apology from President Trump over recent comments in which he downplayed the seriousness of traumatic brain injuries suffered by American troops in an Iranian missile attack.

"The Veterans of Foreign Wars cannot stand idle on this matter," William "Doc" Schmitz, VFW National Commander, said in a statement Friday, noting TBI is a serious injury known to cause depression, memory loss, severe headaches and other symptoms in the short and long-term.

Read More