Florida Navy lieutenant sentenced to 10 years for attempting to solicit child for sex

Bullet Points
Michael Douglas McNeil (

A 31-year-old Navy lieutenant was sentenced to a decade in federal prison for attempting to solicit a child for sex over the Internet, the Department of Justice announced on Monday.


  • Michael Douglas McNeil, assigned to the Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Lassen, was arrested last year after contacting a detective posing as a family member of a 12-year-old handicapped child and requesting sex with the fictional minor.
  • McNeil spent several days discussing plans for a sexual rendezvous, sending explicit photos of himself and "ask[ing] specific questions about the "child's" sexual experience and abilities," according to the DoJ release on his sentencing.
  • McNeil was arrested when he went to met the fictional minor at a coffee shop, according to the DoJ, blaming the solicitation on his "curiosity" about "a younger girl."
  • The Naval Criminal Investigative Service assisted state and federal law enforcement with the investigation.

SEE ALSO: A Florida Man Tried To Bring An RPG On A Commercial Flight

he amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) returns to homeport at Naval Base San Diego on February 25, 2015. (U.S. Navy/ Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Corwin Colbert)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A former U.S. Navy sailor was sentenced to 20 years in prison Monday for having sexual contact with a 14-year-old Oceanside girl in 2017, federal prosecutors in San Diego said in a statement.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less