After shortening permanent change of station notice for sailors and their families to just eight weeks, the Navy has requested additional funding to lengthen that time to up to six months.
Navy Times reported on Aug. 9 that branch officials had received approval from Congress for an additional $257 million in funding to increase the lead time ahead of moves for sailors and their families.
“Sailors can expect to start seeing large batches of orders being released over the next several weeks,” Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Christensen, spokesman for the chief of naval personnel, told Navy Times. “Our focus remains on manning the fleet, and taking care of sailors and their families.”
In June, Task & Purpose reported that the Navy appeared to shorten PCS lead times after the May passage of the 2017 Consolidated Appropriations Act spending bill that will fund the federal government through September. The service branch was originally allocated $741 million to the Navy for PCSing, which prompted officials to truncate the amount of time allotted to families to uproot their lives.
Though Christensen told Task & Purpose at the time that lead times have never been much longer than two months, Navy spouses like Kelly Hruska, legislative director for the National Association of Military Families, suggested that six months used to be the norm.
“It was not unusual to get orders six months out,” Hruska said. “You had a little bit of time to plan.”
However, Chris Gallegos, the communications director for Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman and Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran, told Task & Purpose that the Navy’s full request was met.
“The Navy requested $741,307,000 for Permanent Change of Station, and the Congress approved that request,” he said.
In contrast, the Army requested and received $1.81 billion for its base PCS budget — over than a billion dollars more than the Navy.
Lt. Jessica Anderson, another spokeswoman for the chief of naval personnel, had previously confirmed for Task & Purpose that Navy personnel officials requested less funding, mainly in response to the budget restraints on government agencies imposed by Congress under the 2011 Budget Control Act, commonly referred to as the “sequester” bill.
“That PCS budget request was adjusted in the review process to meet topline bipartisan Budget Control Act limitations, without regard for the number of moves Navy needs to execute,” Anderson told Task & Purpose in late May.
But now, the Navy has “been able to issue approximately 9,000 orders using the reprogrammed funds,” Christensen said. “Before the fiscal year ends, we are aiming to have issued PCS orders with as much lead times as possible — our goal is six months.”
It’s unclear where, exactly, the new cash came from. Christensen told Task & Purpose that he was not made aware of the source of the additional funding, suggesting that the Navy was able to pull the excess funds from elsewhere in its budget. But Christensen also told Navy Times that reallocating money from a different portion of the Navy’s budget would have been signed off on by the Navy secretary, Department of Defense, and Congress, leaving the change in policy somewhat opaque.
Despite this, advocates like Hruska are calling the sudden reversal over PCS time a victory. “NMFA is pleased that the Navy is getting back to business as usual,” she told Task & Purpose. “We understand budget constraints, but the compressed timeline left families with little time to research schools, housing and employment at the new duty station.”
President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.
The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.
"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."
It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.
Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.
The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.
MAPLE, N.C. -- A maritime center with a pool big enough to hold a small ship and simulate hurricane conditions is set to open in Currituck County, North Carolina, in two years. It will serve to train groups such as special forces, law enforcement and offshore wind crews.