The Navy will soon require sailors plank hard to prove their mettle

Health & Fitness

Sailors aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) perform "planks" during command physical training July 17, 2015, at Huntington Hall field.

(U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Ciarra C. Thibodeaux)

Yarrrrrrr, get ready to walk the plank, maties! Or, at least, hold yourself prone on your elbows for an extended period of time!

The Navy plans on adding a plank event to the service's physical readiness test in 2020, replacing sit-ups that are shown to "do more harm than good," Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson announced on Thursday.


Richardson revealed the details of the upcoming PRT changes in a post-exercise video shot with the crew of Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS John Paul Jones at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii:

In addition to ditching sit-ups, commands that have rowing machines are planning on adding a rowing event for cardio, Richardson said, adding that "you can choose to get onto a rowing machine to do your cardio if that's what you prefer to do."

As Military.com notes, the Navy is following in the footsteps of the Marine Corp, which last year offered a 5,000-meter rowing test for those who opt out of a full run due to medical conditions.

But while Richardson stated that the changes came a result of fleet-wide feedback, it's worth noting that the adjustments come following the deaths of two recruits during fitness-related tests in as many months.

In late February, Seaman Recruit Kierra Evans was pronounced dead after after she collapsed following physical training event at her sixth week of basic training at Recruit Training Command Great Lakes in Illinois

The following April, Seaman Recruit Kelsey Nobles was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital went into cardiac arrest following the completion of a fitness test at the same base.

The Navy launched a review to evaluate training and safety procedures in the aftermath of the two incidents.

"If information is discovered during the course of the investigation revealing deficiencies in our processes and procedures that could improve safety in training, it would be acted on." Lt. Joseph Pfaff, a spokesman for Recruit Training Command, said in a statement at the time.

Pfaff could not immediately be reached for comment on whether the changes announced Thursday were in response to that review.

SEE ALSO: This New Navy Recruiting Video Is Basically Just A Tribute To Miniguns

WATCH NEXT: The Navy's 'Sky Penis' Incident, A Dramatic Reading

Guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) Sailors participate in a memorial for the shipÕs namesake, Robert D. Stethem. Navy diver, Steelworker 2nd Class Robert Stethem, who was returning from an assignment in the Middle East, when he was taken hostage aboard TWA 847 commercial airliner. The flight was hijacked by terrorists, and Stethem was shot to death after being tortured by the terrorists on June 15, 1985. (U.S. Navy photo by Ensign Danny Ewing Jr.)

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police have arrested a 65-year-old Lebanese man suspected of involvement in the 1985 hijacking of a Trans World Airlines (TWA) plane in which a U.S. navy diver was killed.

A Greek police official said on Saturday the suspect had disembarked from a cruise ship on the island of Mykonos on Thursday and that his name came up as being wanted by German authorities.

Read More Show Less

The last time the world saw Marine veteran Austin Tice, he had been taken prisoner by armed men. It was unclear whether his captors were jihadists or allies of Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad who were disguised as Islamic radicals.

Blindfolded and nearly out of breath, Tice spoke in Arabic before breaking into English:"Oh Jesus. Oh Jesus."

That was from a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 26, 2012, several weeks after Tice went missing near Damascus, Syria, while working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy and the Washington Post.

Now that Tice has been held in captivity for more than seven years, reporters who have regular access to President Donald Trump need to start asking him how he is going to bring Tice home.

Read More Show Less

SAN DIEGO — John Timothy Earnest didn't hide his smirks as he sat in a San Diego courtroom on Thursday, watching surveillance video of Lori Gilbert-Kaye being shot down inside the lobby of a Poway synagogue.

Earnest also smiled as a synagogue congregant testified about running toward the shooter, screaming "I'm going to kill you!" and seeing the gunman "with a look of astonishment or fear" turn and run.

Earnest, 20, is facing one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder in the shootings at Chabad of Poway on April 27. He also faces an arson charge related to an Escondido mosque fire in March, when several people who were sleeping inside escaped unharmed.

Read More Show Less

Sometimes a joke just doesn't work.

For example, the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service tweeted and subsequently deleted a Gilbert Gottfried-esque misfire about the "Storm Area 51" movement.

On Friday DVIDSHUB tweeted a picture of a B-2 bomber on the flight line with a formation of airmen in front of it along with the caption: "The last thing #Millenials will see if they attempt the #area51raid today."

Read More Show Less

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey is ready to act on its southern border with Syria, President Tayyip Erdogan said, after warning that it could take unilateral steps if the U.S. does not establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria this month.

"Our preparations along our borders are complete," Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul on Saturday before departing to attend a U.N. General Assembly meeting.

Read More Show Less