Navy SEAL and Marine Raider could dodge sexual assault charges in hazing death of Green Beret in Mali

news

Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar

(U.S. Army photo)

NORFOLK, Va. -- They called it Operation Tossed Salad and the hasty plan, concocted over several hours at various clubs in Bamako, Mali, was to haze an Army Green Beret.

Instead, Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar died sometime in the early morning of June 4, 2017, after four special operators broke into his room while he was sleeping, taped him up, placed him in a chokehold, then tried to cover up their actions. On Monday, a Navy SEAL and Marine Raider, the last of four service members currently charged in the case, made their first court appearances in front a preliminary hearing officer at Naval Station Norfolk, who will help determine whether there is enough evidence for the military to pursue the case.


Chief Special Operator Tony DeDolph, 40, and Gunnery Sgt. Mario Madera-Rodriguez, 34, sat at separate tables during the day-long hearing. Both face charges including murder, conspiring to commit assault and obstruct justice, involuntary manslaughter, hazing, and burglary. Madera-Rodriguez is also charged with making false official statements and DeDolph faces a charge of obstructing justice. That charge includes an allegation that DeDolph, a medic, performed a medical procedure on Melgar's neck to open an airway to hide evidence of injures.

Two others, former Navy Chief Special Operator Adam Matthews, and former Marine Staff Sgt. Kevin Maxwell Jr. have pleaded guilty in the case. Matthews was sentenced in May to a year in confinement, a reduction in rank and a bad conduct discharge, which may be reconsidered if he cooperates in the case. Maxwell was sentenced in June to four years confinement, a bad conduct discharge and a reduction in rank to private.

During their previous testimony, Matthews and Maxwell described a plot against Melgar that was hatched to get back at the Green Beret in return for leaving other Marines behind when he went to a party on the evening of June 3, 2017. Instead the four operators and several others convened at a club and, as the night wore on, DeDolph became the driving force behind a plan that both Matthews and Maxwell later described as a joke that got out of hand.

Navy prosecutor Lt. Cmdr. Benjamin Garcia on Monday asked Capt. Warren Record, the hearing officer, to consider adding sexual assault charges to each of the two cases. Matthews, who testified by phone from the brig in Chesapeake, admitted under questioning by Garcia that one of two Malian guards working at the house that night, known as "Big Man," agreed to assault Melgar with his shirt off while wearing a leash.

Record declined to recommend the charges, citing a lack of evidence.

Civilian defense attorneys challenged Matthew's credibility, noting he'd omitted details about the 2017 incident from his deal with prosecutors. They also challenged the validity of the military's investigation, noting that Naval Criminal Investigative Service agent Ethan Pickett was pulled from the case after a romantic relationship with a witness, first reported by the Daily Beast, came to light, and that a piece of duct tape recovered from Melgar's room was tainted with DNA from another agent.

Phil Stackhouse, DeDolph's civilian attorney, said DeDolph told the two Marine Raiders that he and Matthews would take responsibility for Meglar's accidental death because the Marines were the least culpable of the four service members and to avoid having them charged with serious offenses.

"That's clearly, objectively, what happened," Stackhouse said.

The Melgar case is one of a sting of incidents involving Navy SEALs that has cast the elite operators in an unflattering light. Late last month, Rear Adm. Collin Green, the top Navy SEAL, sent a letter to the command acknowledging ethical and credibility problems across the force after several incidents of misconduct. He gave commanders until Wednesday to respond to him with recommendations.

Record will make a recommendation on whether to go forward to Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Commanding Officer Rear Adm. Charles Rock, who will then make a determination. Rock does not have to follow Record's recommendation. Navy Region Mid-Atlantic spokesman Beth Baker said there is not a timeline for Rock to make his decision.

UPDATE: This story was updated on Aug. 7 to more accurately reflect Phil Stackhouse's comments.

———

©2019 The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk, Va.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Soldiers deploy concertina wire in a location along the Southwest border of the United States near Hidalgo, Texas. U.S. Army North is deployed to the southwest border under the authority of U.S. Northern Command to support the Department of Homeland Security and the Customs and Border Protection's mission to secure the border. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol)

The Defense Department's Inspector General's Office has launched an "evaluation" of the deployment of active-duty and National Guard troops to the southern border, a news release said Tuesday.

"We will examine, among other issues, what they are doing at the border, what training they received, and whether their use complied with applicable law, DoD policy, and operating guidance," said Glenn Fine, the principal deputy inspector general performing the duties of the inspector general, in the release.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo)

Gold Star family members might finally see an end to the so-called "Widows Tax" thanks to the National Defense Authorization Act of 2020.

Read More Show Less
Saudi Arabia Defense Attache Major General Fawaz Al Fawaz and his Embassy staff and other officials arrive to meet with the Saudi students who remain restricted to the Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola base by their Saudi commanding officer, in Pensacola, Florida, U.S. December 9, 2019.( FBI Jacksonville/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly 175 Saudi Arabian military aviation students have been grounded as part of a "safety stand-down" after a Saudi Air Force lieutenant shot and killed three people last week at a U.S. Navy base in Florida, U.S. officials told Reuters on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Photo: U.S. Army/Spc. Valencia McNeal

The number of substantiated allegations of sexual misconduct against senior Army officials increased this year, according to an Army Inspector General report recently presented to service leaders and obtained by Task & Purpose.

The document, which lays out broad details of IG investigations undertaken in fiscal year 2019, looks at investigations specific to senior Army officials, which includes "promotable colonels, general officers and senior executives," according to Army spokesman Lt. Col. Emanuel Ortiz.

Read More Show Less
A U.S. Marine with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) carries cold weather equipment as he begins to march across the Icelandic terrain October 19, 2018. (U.S. Air Force/Capt. Kylee Ashton)

MONS, Belgium (Reuters) - The United States will send 20,000 troops to Europe next April and May in its biggest military exercises on European soil since the Cold War to underscore Washington's commitment to NATO, a senior allied commander said on Tuesday.

Days after a NATO summit in London at which U.S. President Donald Trump called low-spending European allies "delinquent", U.S. Major General Barre Seguin said the exercises, centered on Germany, will be the largest of their kind in 25 years.

"This really demonstrates transatlantic unity and the U.S. commitment to NATO," Seguin, who oversees allied operations from NATO's military headquarters in Belgium, told Reuters.

Read More Show Less