Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Navy Veteran Killed In Thousand Oaks Shooting Had Survived Las Vegas Shooting
Navy veteran Telemachus Orfanos survived last year’s mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 59 people, but on Wednesday night he was gunned down in another shooting, this time in Thousand Oaks, California.
Orfanos served as a sonar technician surface seaman from June 2011 until December 2013, according to his official Navy record. After completing his training in anti-submarine warfare, he served aboard the Military Sealift Command ocean surveillance ship USNS Able from April until December 2013.
He left the Navy as an E-3 and his awards include the National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Medal, and Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon.
His father Marc told the Washington Post that the younger Orfanos enjoyed going to shooting ranges while in the Navy. When his son moved back with his parents afterward, he asked if he could keep a gun in the house but they said no, Marc Orfanos told the newspaper.
“My take is that if there’s a gun in the house, there’s always a possibility of an accident, or of suicide,” Marc Orfanos said. “It increases the odds.”
Telemachus Orfanos also loved country music, and that is why he was attending the Oct. 1, 2017 Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas when a gunman opened fire at the crowd, his father told National Public Radio.
Marc Orfanos said his son was traumatized by the shooting, during which he helped carry severely wounded people out of the kill zone, the Washington Post reported.
Susan Orfanos has made an emotional appeal for gun control legislation in the aftermath of her son’s death.
“My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he come home,” she told ABC’s Los Angeles affiliate. “He didn’t come home last night, and I don’t want prayers; I don’t want thoughts; I want gun control and I hope to God nobody else sends me any more prayers. I want gun control. No more guns.”
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As many as 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan – which has nearly 300 passengers who have tested positive for the deadly coronavirus, now known as COVID-19 – will be extracted Sunday from Yokohama and flown to Travis Air Force Base near Fairfield and a Texas base for further quarantine.
The Army wants more soldiers, and it's using esports to put a 'finger on the pulse' of potential recruits
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
After whiffing on its recruiting goal in 2018, the Army has been trying new approaches to bring in the soldiers it needs to reach its goal of 500,000 in active-duty service by the end of the 2020s.
The 6,500-soldier shortfall the service reported in September 2018 was its first recruiting miss since 2005 and came despite it putting $200 million into bonuses and issuing extra waivers for health issues or bad conduct.
Within a few months of that disappointment, the Army announced it was seeking soldiers for an esports team that would, it said, "build awareness of skills that can be used as professional soldiers and use [its] gaming knowledge to be more relatable to youth."
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A New Mexico Army National Guard soldier from Mountainair, who served as a police officer and volunteer firefighter in the town, died Thursday from a non-combat related incident while deployed in Africa, according to the Department of Defense.
A news release states Pfc. Walter Lewark, 26, died at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti where he was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in the Horn of Africa.
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is requesting about as much money for overseas operations in the coming fiscal year as in this one, but there is at least one noteworthy new twist: the first-ever Space Force request for war funds.
Officials say the $77 million request is needed by Oct. 1 not for space warfare but to enable military personnel to keep operating and protecting key satellites.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Thursday accused Huawei of stealing trade secrets and helping Iran track protesters in its latest indictment against the Chinese company, escalating the U.S. battle with the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker.
In the indictment, which supersedes one unsealed last year in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, Huawei Technologies Co was charged with conspiring to steal trade secrets from six U.S. technology companies and to violate a racketeering law typically used to combat organized crime.