The Navy is hoping to enter the 21st century with a new information technology system. But what does that mean for sailors? A new mobile app that will let them do everything from filing paperwork to choosing a duty station, all with a simple swipe. It’s like Tinder for enlistment. Swipe right for yes, left for no.
Okay, it’s not that simple. The app, called “My Navy Portal,” is still just a concept, but the plan is to offer a number of features that simplify processes into an easy-to-use mobile app, including filing a marriage certificate, requesting leave, or tracking training history.
The Navy claims the beta version of the app could be rolled out by summer 2017; however, the actual app doesn’t exist yet. The Navy says it will work with the private sector tech companies to adopt an already-existing system that fits with the Navy’s infrastructure for a more immediate rollout. It’s to be determined how quickly this will happen.
“Sailors have been asking for a platform that allows them to access their personnel information in one location,” Vice Adm. Robert Burke, chief of Naval personnel, said in a release."While there is still much work to be done on My Navy Portal, this is the first step in providing a consolidated one-stop shop for Sailors' personnel information. Our Sailors deserve a modern personnel system and we are committed to giving it to them."
Burke hopes the system will provide incentives that will change the way sailors view reenlistment bonuses and incentives.
Because the sailors’ information will all be archived in one database, the Navy expects to better balance its needs with the desires of the sailors themselves. Burke believe this will make for a stronger service because Navy personnel skills and needs will be taken into to consideration and weighed more heavily.
The IT systems overall update will consolidate more than 50 existing databases under the service’s purview, according to Navy Times.
“We’re going to roll this out pretty quickly,” Vice Adm. Robert Burke told Navy Times. “We are going be able to make all of our transactions services completely mobile accessible.”
GENEVA/DUBAI (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he was prepared to take military action to stop Tehran from getting a nuclear bomb but left open whether he would back the use of force to protect Gulf oil supplies that Washington fears may be under threat by Iran.
Worries about a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since attacks last week on two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz shipping lane at the entrance to the Gulf. Washington blamed long-time foe Iran for the incidents.
Tehran denies responsibility but the attacks, and similar ones in May, have further soured relations that have plummeted since Trump pulled the United States out of a landmark international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018.
Trump has restored and extended U.S. economic sanctions on Iran. That has forced countries around the world to boycott Iranian oil or face sanctions of their own.
But in an interview with Time magazine, Trump, striking a different tone from some Republican lawmakers who have urged a military approach to Iran, said last week's tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman had only a "very minor" impact so far.
Asked if he would consider military action to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons or to ensure the free flow of oil through the Gulf, Trump said: "I would certainly go over nuclear weapons and I would keep the other a question mark."
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said Tuesday he is appalled by a state DFL Party staff member's tweet referring to the recently-launched USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul as a "murder boat."
"Certainly, the disrespect shown is beyond the pale," said Walz, who served in the Army National Guard.
William Davis, who has been the DFL Party's research director and deputy communications director, made the controversial comment in response to a tweet about the launch of a new Navy combat ship in Wisconsin: "But actually, I think it's gross they're using the name of our fine cities for a murder boat," Davis wrote on Twitter over the weekend.
TAMPA — Minutes before the Acting Secretary of Defense withdrew Tuesday from his confirmation process, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke at MacDill Air Force Base about the need to coordinate "diplomatic and defense efforts'' to address rising tensions with Iran.
Pompeo, who arrived in Tampa on Monday, met with Marine Gen. Kenneth McKenzie Jr. and Army Gen. Richard Clarke, commanders of U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command respectively, to align the Government's efforts in the Middle East, according to Central Command.
NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO — The trial of Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher officially kicked off on Tuesday with the completion of jury selection, opening statements, and witness testimony indicating that drinking alcohol on the front lines of Mosul, Iraq in 2017 seemed to be a common occurrence for members of SEAL Team 7 Alpha Platoon.
Government prosecutors characterized Gallagher as a knife-wielding murderer who not only killed a wounded ISIS fighter but shot indiscriminately at innocent civilians, while the defense argued that those allegations were falsehoods spread by Gallagher's angry subordinates, with attorney Tim Parlatore telling the jury that "this trial is not about murder. It's about mutiny."