Navy's Top Doc Orders Cell Phone Ban After Corpsman Flips Off Baby

news

Editor’s Note: This article by  originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


The Navy's top doctor has banned all workers' personal cell phones from patient areas, and directed all Navy medical staff to participate in a 48-hour "stand down" after Snapchat posts from a pair of Navy corpsmen calling newborns in their care "mini Satans" went viral across social media early this week.

The photos and at least one video were taken at Naval Hospital Jacksonville, Florida; posted to Snapchat; and then shared to Facebook. The corpsman who posted them has not been officially identified.

"I have directed immediate mandatory all-hands stand downs within 48 hours at all Navy Medicine commands to review our oaths, our pledges, our reasons for serving, as well as Navy Medicine's policy regarding use of personally owned phones and other recording devices," Vice Adm. Forrest Faison, the Navy's surgeon general, said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"At every level of the enterprise, we must send a clear message that Navy and Navy Medicine leadership take every allegation of offensive and unacceptable online conduct seriously and will hold responsible individuals accountable for their actions," he wrote.

"I have also implemented an immediate prohibition of all personal cell phones in patient care areas until further notice," he continued.

Faison ordered all commanding officers across the Navy hospital system to "personally contact" both current and expecting mothers who plan to deliver at a Navy facility -- potentially thousands of patients worldwide -- to "reassure them, inform them of our actions, and address any of their concerns."

He also ordered leaders to "ensure no additional patient photos exist on social media" and remove any that do.

A statement posted to the Naval Hospital Jacksonville Facebook page first identified the pair as "junior enlisted corpsmen," but was later edited to read "two staff." Both have been removed, according to the statement.

The statement indicated that the posts are of a single infant and the parents have been notified.

"We have identified those involved ... they will be handled by the legal system and military justice," the statement said. "We've notified the patient's parents."

Navy Medicine provides all medical care on both Navy and Marine Corps bases worldwide.

The article originally appeared on Military.com.

More from Military.com:

Via Facebook
(AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

The Justice Department has accused Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) of illegally using campaign funds to pay for extramarital affairs with five women.

Hunter, who fought in the Iraq War as a Marine artillery officer, and his wife Margaret were indicated by a federal jury on Aug. 21, 2018 for allegedly using up to $250,000 in campaign funds for personal use.

In a recent court filing, federal prosecutors accused Hunter of using campaign money to pay for a variety of expenses involved with his affairs, ranging from a $1,008 hotel bill to $7 for a Sam Adams beer.

Read More Show Less

Shortly after Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher allegedly murdered a wounded ISIS prisoner, about half a dozen of his SEAL teammates watched as one SEAL flew a drone around their compound and hovered it just inches over the dead man's body.

It was yet another ethical lapse for the men of SEAL Team 7 Alpha Platoon, many of whom had just taken a group photograph with the deceased victim after their commander had held an impromptu reenlistment ceremony for Gallagher near the body. Although some expressed remorse in courtroom testimony over their participation in the photo, video footage from later that morning showed a number of SEALs acted with little regard for the remains of Gallagher's alleged victim.

The video — which was shown to the jury and courtroom spectators last week in the trial of Gallagher — was recently obtained by Task & Purpose.

Read More Show Less
(Twitter/Libyan Address Journal)

A U.S. Air Force veteran held captive for six weeks by the Libyan military amid allegations that he was a hired mercenary was freed by the U.S. government on Tuesday, the Washington Post first reported.

Read More Show Less

On Nov, 10, 2004, Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia knew that he stood a good chance of dying as he tried to save his squad.

Bellavia survived the intense enemy fire and went on to single-handedly kill five insurgents as he cleared a three-story house in Fallujah during the iconic battle for the city. For his bravery that day, President Trump will present Bellavia with the Medal of Honor on Tuesday, making him the first living Iraq war veteran to receive the award.

In an interview with Task & Purpose, Bellavia recalled that the house where he fought insurgents was dark and filled with putrid water that flowed from broken pipes. The battle itself was an assault on his senses: The stench from the water, the darkness inside the home, and the sounds of footsteps that seemed to envelope him.

Read More Show Less

Developed by Offworld Studios alongside living, breathing military veterans, 'Squad' may be the most realistic shooter on the market — or at least, with 40 vs 40 squad-level fighting, the most fun.

The game, according to its website, was designed to "establish a culture of camaraderie that is unparalleled in competitive multiplayer shooters." More importantly, it comes complete with realistic renderings of Stryker armored vehicles, which is my personal jam.

Learn more about 'Squad' here