NCIS is investigating the death of a sailor aboard a Navy warship deployed to Europe

news

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

An investigation is underway aboard a Navy ship after a sailor was found dead during a stop in Spain.


A sailor assigned to the amphibious transport dock Arlington was found unresponsive on Tuesday, said Cmdr. Kyle Raines, a spokesman for U.S. 6th Fleet. The sailor was later pronounced dead aboard the ship, he added.

The person's identity has not been released, pending family notification. Navy Times is reporting the sailor was a woman.

The sailor's death is under investigation by members of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, Raines said. No additional details were immediately available.

The Arlington was at Naval Station Rota for a regularly scheduled port visit at the time. The ship is part of the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group, which deployed in December.

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

SEE ALSO: Sailors Created A 'Rape List' Aboard The Navy's Second Submarine To Integrate Women

WATCH NEXT: A Dramatic Reading Of The Navy's 'Sky Penis' Incident

(U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Chris Roys)

That's right, Superman is (at least temporarily) trading in his red cape, blue tights, and red silk underpants for a high and tight, a skivvy shirt and, well, he's still rocking silkies.

Read More Show Less
Photo: Sgt. Raquel Villalona/U.S. Army
U.S. troops rejoice — the midnight curfew for service members in South Korea has been temporarily suspended, as command evaluates if you can be trusted to not act like wild animals in the streets of Pyeongtaek.

Giphy

Read More Show Less

Late last month Activision's Infinity Ward dropped a teaser trailer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare — a soft-reboot of one of it's most beloved games — and just two weeks after the May 30 reveal, the game developer unveiled some new details on what's in store for the first-person shooter's multiplayer: Juggernaut and ghillie suits!

Read More Show Less
Members of the Iranian revolutionary guard march during a parade to commemorate the anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war (1980-88), in Tehran September 22, 2011. (Reuters photo)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Iran says it will exceed limits on its enriched uranium stockpiles agreed in its 2015 nuclear deal, the latest escalation in tensions after the US accused Iran of sabotaging oil tankers last week.

Under the 2015 deal — formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) — Iran agreed with the Obama administration and several European states to limit uranium production.

Read More Show Less
REUTERS/Ahmed Kingimi

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 30 people have been killed in a triple suicide attack in northeast Nigerian state of Borno, state emergency officials said on Monday, in the biggest mass killing this year by suicide bombers.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Read More Show Less