This Nerf Gun Fires Endless Rounds At 70 MPH

A YouTube screenshot showing Nerf’s Nemesis MXVII-10K.

Reloading blows. Fortunately, you’ll probably never need to with this beast: Nerf’s Nemesis MXVII-10K.

This Nerf blaster is not to be trifled with, a point made abundantly clear by Popular Mechanics which reviewed it first. It’s fully automatic and unloads an unbelievable number of dense yellow balls from a gigantic hopper on top in a matter of moments. The balls come zipping out of the Nemesis at 70 miles per hour, or put another way; at 102 feet per second.

The Nerf gun uses two battery-powered wheels underneath the plastic hopper on top — where the balls are stored — to grab the balls and sling them out of the barrel at a surprisingly high speed for a kid’s toy. The hopper itself holds up to 100 rounds, which is a crap ton. It’s so many in fact that it takes a full minute to reload.

The blaster also has a full stock, though it’s more for storage than function, after all automatic Nerf guns aren't known for recoil, though they are known for needing batteries, and this beast is no exception. It requires a whopping six D batteries. Alternatively, if you don’t want to go through a ton of disposable batteries, you can use the rechargeable packs from Nerf, which plug into an outlet and power up in a few hours.

Related: The World’s Biggest Nerf Gun Is Definitely Not A Toy »

When fully loaded and charged, the blaster can fire for about 25 seconds non-stop before running out of rounds, with a slight shake required here and there to get the balls flowing from the hopper.

The Nemesis will be available this fall for around $100, which may seem a bit steep for a toy gun, although the idea of blasting coworkers and friends with hundreds of yellow Nerf balls is tough to put a price on.

A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.

Read More
DoD photo

A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.

"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."

Read More

The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Dylan McKay

A U.S. Navy aircrew has been rescued after their MH-60S helicopter went down into the Philippine Sea on Saturday.

Read More
Photo: Fort Jackson Public Affairs

A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.

Read More