A seasoned Army noncommissioned officer was killed in Afghanistan Monday on his eighth deployment, the service announced.
Sgt. 1st Class Michael James Goble, 33, was killed in an attack for which the Taliban claimed credit, in Afghanistan's Kunduz province, to the north. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
Goble, of Westwood Township, N.J., entered the Army in 2004 and earned his Green Beret in 2007. His many deployments included missions in Argentina, Guatemala, Colombia and South Korea, as well as two previous deployments to Afghanistan, according to information provided by U.S. Army Special Operations Command.
His training and proficiencies include Special Forces Sniper Course, Basic and Advanced Military Freefall Course, Military Freefall Advanced Tactical Insertion Course, Joint Armorer Course, Survive, Evade, Resist and Escape Course, Special Forces Intelligence Sergeant Course, Special Operations Force Surveillance Operator, Special Warfare Network Development, Advanced Special Operations Techniques -- Level III Course, Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course and Special Warfare Operational Design Course, officials said.
Goble was a recipient of the Bronze Star (3 subsequent awards) and Army Commendation Medal with combat "V" device.
"Sgt. 1st Class Goble was more than just a member of the 7th Special Forces Group, he was a brother to us, and a beloved family member to the Northwest Florida community." Col. John W. Sannes, 7th SFG (A) commander, said in a statement. "We will honor our brother's sacrifice and provide the best possible care to his family. We ask that you keep his family and teammates in your thoughts and prayers."
Defense Department officials say the attack that killed Goble remains under investigation.
A Taliban spokesman announced the death of a U.S. service member earlier Monday, saying he had been killed by a roadside bomb emplaced by insurgents.
Goble is the 20th U.S. service member to die in Afghanistan this year, underscoring what has been what has been the most deadly year of the conflict since the announced end of conventional war operations in 2014.
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com: