How an Army colonel became the face of romance scams around the world
Hundreds of accounts across the internet pretend to be this one guy every day. Why?
Army Col. Daniel Blackmon estimates that there are hundreds of fake accounts created using his name and photos across various social media sites since he was alerted to a fake account under his name in 2014. If there’s an online dating website in the world, he told Task & Purpose in February, he probably has accounts on it.
We sat down with reporter Haley Britzky to go behind the scenes of her investigation into the Army’s biggest romance scam. Watch the video below:
What’s new on Task & Purpose
- The Marine Corps’ culture has to change
- This Army ‘Best Ranger’ competitor showed soldier ingenuity that had instructors face-palming
- How an airman fought off a grizzly bear in Alaska
- Tom Hanks to continue his absolute domination of World War II entertainment
- A soldier was left to die alone in his barracks for 5 days. His family wants to know why
Want to write for Task & Purpose? Click here. Or check out the latest stories on our homepage.