A report of an active shooter Thursday at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base was a false alarm, the base has announced.
During an installation exercise that included an active shooter scenario, "An unknown individual called 911 believing that there was a real-world incident occurring within the base hospital," the base tweeted on Thursday afternoon.
Things became more confusing during a search of the hospital, when a security forces airman fired his weapon “in an attempt to breech a door that was locked,” according to the tweet.
“The scene has been declared safe and all personnel have been advised to avoid the base hospital area for the time being,” the tweet says.
News of the false alarm came after a series of alarming string of tweets that began when the base first tweeted: “At approximately 12:40 p.m. today, base emergency responders, including security forces and fire department, responded to a reported incident in building 830, the Wright-Patt Hospital.”
Shortly afterward, The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, and Explosives tweeted that agents from its office in Columbus, Ohio, were en route to the base. And Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted that he had ordered the state highway patrol to “provide all possible support to the first responders managing the situation at Wright-Patterson AFB,” adding: “Please join me in prayers for the safety of all involved.”
This is a breaking news story. It will be updated throughout the day as more information becomes available.
An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.
President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.
The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.
"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."
It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.
Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.
The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.