Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
'We won't do it!' — A North Carolina city is suing to take down a massive American flag
Just in time for Memorial Day, one North Carolina city has filed a lawsuit to force an RV store to pull down a 40-foot by 80-foot U.S. flag because it's too large, reports WBTV and other news outlets.
To put the 3,200-square-foot size in perspective, that's about 1,000 square feet bigger than the average Starbucks.
Statesville, N.C., officials say the U.S. flag at Gander RV is nearly twice the size of what is specified in city codes for "signs and other outdoor marketing devices," says WBTV.
Gander RV, an outdoor living equipment dealer, posted news of the lawsuit on its Facebook page May 18, and said the city is "imposing" a $50 per day retroactive fine, dating back to October 15. That's when the flag went up, the store says.
That adds up to about $11,000 in fines so far, reported Fox 46
"Many cities like Statesville have requested that Camping World and Gander Outdoors take down their American flags," said the post, now shared 5,200 times.
"WE WON'T DO IT! Stand with us. This is about more than just the flag. This is about our veterans, military, and the men and women that have sacrificed for this great country. They are the reason we fly the flag and they are the reason we will NOT take it down!" the post says.
Statesville officials told Fox 46 that Gander RV was granted a permit to fly a U.S. flag, but the business raised one much larger than allowed. City codes say flags cannot be larger than 25 feet by 40 feet if they are flown within 100 feet of a highway, reports WSOC.
The dispute has inspired a Change.org campaign to "Let Camping World & Gander Outdoors Fly The American Flag!"
As of Tuesday morning, more than 83,000 people had signed the petition, which has a 150,000 signature goal.
Thousands have also commented on Gander RV's defiant Facebook post, and nearly all appear to be supportive of a keeping the flag up — "the bigger the better."
"I don't care if it's large enough to be seen from space! I question the morals and honor of the folks who run the city if they want to enforce this," posted Glen Sexton. "Change your own ordinance because it's ridiculous to start with."
"Someone needs to file a lawsuit against the city for being Anti American," posted Steven Schack on the Gander RV Facebook page. "What is this county coming too! My God!"
"Stand tall, proud, and don't back down to anything or anyone that disapproves of the flying of Old Glory," wrote Haig Zeytoonian. "She was paid for with the blood of millions. God Bless America."
©2019 The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
WATCH NEXT: Jack Mandaville Takes On Plastic Patriots
An Air Force civilian has died at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar in a "non-combat related incident," U.S. Air Forces Central Command announced on Friday.
Jason P. Zaki, 32, died on Wednesday while deployed to the 609th Air Operations Center from the Pentagon, an AFCENT news release says.
At a time when taxpayer and foreign-government spending at Trump Organization properties is fueling political battles, a U.S. Marine Corps reserve unit stationed in South Florida hopes to hold an annual ball at a venue that could profit the commander in chief.
The unit is planning a gala to celebrate the 244th anniversary of the Marines' founding at President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach on Nov. 16, according to a posting on the events website Evensi.
QUANTICO, Virginia -- They may not be deadly, but some of the nonlethal weapons the Marine Corps is working on look pretty devastating.
The Marine Corps Joint Nonlethal Weapons Directorate is currently testing an 81mm mortar round that delivers a shower of flashbang grenades to disperse troublemakers. There is also an electric vehicle-stopper that delivers an electrical pulse to shut down a vehicle's powertrain, designed for use at access control points.
"When you hear nonlethal, you are thinking rubber bullets and batons and tear gas; it's way more than that," Marine Col. Wendell Leimbach Jr., director of the Joint Nonlethal Weapons Directorate, told an audience at the Modern Day Marine 2019 expo.
RACHEL, Nev. (Reuters) - UFO enthusiasts began descending on rural Nevada on Thursday near the secret U.S. military installation known as Area 51, long rumored to house government secrets about alien life, with local authorities hoping the visitors were coming in peace.
Some residents of Rachel, a remote desert town of 50 people a short distance from the military base, worried their community might be overwhelmed by unruly crowds turning out in response to a recent, viral social-media invitation to "storm" Area 51. The town, about 150 miles (240 km) north of Las Vegas, lacks a grocery store or even a gasoline station.
Dozens of visitors began arriving outside Rachel's only business - an extraterrestrial-themed motel and restaurant called the Little A'Le'Inn - parking themselves in cars, tents and campers. A fire truck was stationed nearby.
Alien enthusiasts descend on the Nevada desert to 'storm' Area 51
Attendees arrive at the Little A'Le'Inn as an influx of tourists responding to a call to 'storm' Area 51, a secretive U.S. military base believed by UFO enthusiasts to hold government secrets about extra-terrestrials, is expected Rachel, Nevada, U.S. September 19, 2019
One couple, Nicholas Bohen and Cayla McVey, both sporting UFO tattoos, traveled to Rachel from the Los Angeles suburb of Fullerton with enough food to last for a week of car-camping.
"It's evolved into a peaceful gathering, a sharing of life stories," McVey told Reuters, sizing up the crowd. "I think you are going to get a group of people that are prepared, respectful and they know what they getting themselves into."