North Korea Conducts 6th Nuclear Test, South Korean Officials Say

news
Photo via KCNA

South Korean officials said North Korea apparently conducted its sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3, the Yonhap News Agency reported.


The U.S. Geological Survey said a 6.3 magnitude explosion was detected near the area where North Korea’s main nuclear testing site is located, but it could not confirm the nature of the blast.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said it was “presumed” to be a nuclear test, according to Yonhap.

Japanese broadcaster NHK reported that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters it is simply not acceptable if North Korea has pressed ahead with a nuclear test. The Japanese leader also said he has ordered relevant ministries to gather and analyze information and inform the public appropriately.

The communist state has carried out five underground nuclear blasts since 2006. Its last one was conducted nearly a year ago on Sept. 9.

The report comes as tensions are high over the North’s efforts to develop a nuclear weapon that could reach the U.S. mainland.

President Donald Trump has warned he’ll unleash “fire and fury” if the isolated regime continues to threaten the United States, although his administration has also pressed for a diplomatic approach, including tightened economic sanctions.

North Korean state-run media said Sunday that scientists have developed a hydrogen bomb that could be used to arm an intercontinental ballistic missile, and released photos of leader Kim Jong Un as he inspected the device.

Experts said the claim couldn’t be confirmed, but it raised fears that the North may be preparing to conduct a sixth nuclear test.

———

©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

President Donald Trump hands a pen to Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie during a spending bill signing ceremony at VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System, Friday, Sept. 21, 2018, in Las Vegas. (Associated Press/Evan Vucci)

The Trump administration wants to shift billions of dollars from government-run veterans' hospitals to private health care providers. That's true even though earlier this year the administration vehemently denied it would privatize any part of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The privatization of essential government services is nothing new, of course. Over the years, countries have privatized dozens of services and activities that were once the sole domain of governments, such as the provision of electricity and water, road operations and prisons and even health care, with the ostensible aim of making them more efficient.

But before going down that road, the question needs to be asked whether privatizing essential human services such as those for military veterans serves the public interest. New research we recently published suggests that privatization may come at a social cost.

Read More Show Less
Jilmar Ramos-Gomez was a lance corporal in the Marines and received awards for service in Afghanistan. (Michigan ACLU)

KENT COUNTY, MI – The ACLU is demanding an investigation after a Grand Rapids-born U.S Marine combat veteran was held for possible deportation.

Read More Show Less

Ronald Reagan's dream of space-based lasers shielding the United States from ICBMs will not come to fruition in the near future, despite the Trump administration's focus on space.

Read More Show Less

The Coast Guard is officially shit outta luck for a paycheck thanks to the government shutdown, which means that zero coasties have been paid to create some of the amazing memes being shared as a way to vent their frustration.

Read More Show Less