North Korea's newest missile appears designed to evade US defenses, officials say

Military Tech
North Korean military conducts a "strike drill" for multiple launchers and tactical guided weapon into the East Sea during a military drill in North Korea, in this May 4, 2019 photo supplied by the Korean Central News Agency (Reuters/KCNA)

WASHINGTON — A newly tested North Korean short-range ballistic missile appears to be a copy of an advanced Russian design that could greatly improve Pyongyang's ability to evade U.S. missile defense systems, according to U.S. officials.

President Donald Trump, who has sought unsuccessfully for the last year to persuade North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to give up his nuclear weapons, has dismissed the new missile as "very standard stuff." But military and national security officials see a potential threat to U.S. forces and allies in northeast Asia.


Three of the missiles were test-fired on May 4 and May 9 from northwest North Korea. They flew on a low trajectory, never exiting the Earth's atmosphere, and flew about 180 miles before plunging into the Sea of Japan.

Pictures showed the missile closely resembles a short-range Russian missile, called the Iskander, right down to the solid fuel engine and four fins on its tail for making in-flight course adjustments. The similarities are so strong that some experts dubbed Pyongyang's version "the Kimskander" after the tests.

A low-flying missile with a satellite guidance system, as the North Korean missile appears to have, is potentially far harder for U.S. anti-missile systems deployed in South Korea to intercept, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal assessments.

The weapon also could be hard to destroy on the ground because it relies on a mobile launcher that carries two missiles and can be moved. It is likely more accurate than North Korea's aging arsenal of short-range Scud missiles.

The tests appeared aimed at increasing pressure on the White House to resume negotiations that stalled after a Trump-Kim summit in February failed to make any progress on getting Kim to abandon his nuclear arsenal and weapons production facilities.

"This is a missile designed to evade" countermeasures, said a senior U.S. official familiar with assessments of the North Korean test launch. "This is their way of saying, 'We have an advanced weapons program that's continuing to do new and different things. Now let's get back to negotiating.'"

A new version of the Patriot interceptor missile defense system in South Korea could hit the missile in mid-flight. But if Pyongyang fired several at once, it could overwhelm the Patriot system, a U.S. official said.

The flattened trajectory also could make it better able to avoid the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, U.S. missile defense systems deployed in South Korea against Pyongyang's medium- and long-range missiles.

On the recent flight test, the missiles never exceeded an altitude of about 30 miles high, according to a statement by the South Korean Joint Chiefs. That means for most of its flight, the missile flew too high for all but the most advanced Patriot interceptors and too low to be hit by THAAD, according to experts.

For his part, Trump downplayed the potential threat and the signal it represented from Kim, insisting the tests did not violate Kim's pledge last year to halt intercontinental- and medium-range missile and nuclear weapons tests while negotiations are underway.

"They're short range and I don't consider it a breach of trust at all," Trump told Politico last week. "I don't think they're ready to negotiate," he added.

Trump defends his talks with Kim, arguing that the test pause has eased tensions with Pyongyang, at least for now. And some missile experts and diplomats say the White House is right not to overreact to the latest provocations from Pyongyang.

But U.S. intelligence officials say Kim has little intention of fully giving up North Korea's nuclear and missile programs and is likely to ramp up testing again if the U.S. doesn't agree to ease punishing economic sanctions in exchange for other concessions.

"What we're getting now is just a light taste" of Kim's response if no deal is reached by the end of this year, said Joshua Pollock, a North Korean missile expert at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, a graduate school.

U.S. intelligence officials and outside experts have pored over data since the tests to try to understand the new missile's capabilities.

It's unclear how many missiles Pyongyang has produced and how closely their capabilities match the Russian Iskander, which is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead and has a range of 250 to 500 miles.

One of the mysteries is how Pyongyang produced a missile so similar to the Iskander, which Moscow is prohibited from selling to North Korea under United Nations sanctions.

Some experts believe Pyongyang illicitly acquired one of the Russian weapons from one of Russia's allies and copied it. Moscow has sold a version in the last decade to Syria, Armenia and Algeria. It's also possible that North Korea produced the weapon with secret help from Russian weapons scientists, or that it bought or stole blueprints for one.

"I don't think the Russian government would sell this to North Korea, but it's possible they used illicit trade networks, maybe using a third party," said Michael Elleman, a former weapons scientist now at the International Institute of Strategic Studies, a London-based think tank. "It's also possible they stole the design for it."

North Korean pictures show support bands around the missile flying off during the launch in an almost identical configuration to the Iskander, evidence that is "compelling and fully consistent" with the Russian missile, Elleman wrote for 38 North, a nonprofit research group and website focused on North Korea.

———

©2019 Los Angeles Times. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: North Korea Could Have 100 Nuclear Warheads By 2020, Report Says

WATCH NEXT: North Korea Fires Its 'Most Powerful' ICBM Yet


Hospital Corpsman, 3rd Class, Jennifer Rooney, who was immediately promoted after selection through the Meritorious Promotion Program, was pinned in a ceremony Sept. 20, 2019, by her father, Robert Rooney, and grandfather, John Rooney. (U.S. Marine Corps/Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Molina)

A U.S.S. Manchester, CL-83, hat firmly tucked on his head, John Ronney, pierced the collar of his granddaughter, Jennifer Rooney's new rank during a special pinning ceremony at Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune on Sept. 25.

By Rooney's side was his son and Jennifer's father Robert, a Navy veteran. Together, three Navy veterans brought together for military tradition.

"They are the two people who taught me everything I needed to know about the Navy," said Jennifer.

Read More Show Less

CAMP PENDLETON — The military prosecution of a Coast Guardsman accused of murder began Wednesday with a preliminary hearing at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Seaman Ethan W. Tucker, 21, was arrested August 28 after a seven-month Coast Guard investigation into the January death of Seaman Ethan Kelch, 19, who served on the same ship as Tucker— the Kodiak, Alaska-based high endurance cutter Douglas Munro.

Read More Show Less

ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey would press on with its offensive into northeastern Syria and "crush the heads of terrorists" if a deal with Washington on the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the area were not fully implemented.

Erdogan agreed on Thursday in talks with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a five-day pause in the offensive to allow time for the Kurdish fighters to withdraw from a "safe zone" Turkey aims to establish in northeast Syria near the Turkish border.

Read More Show Less

President Trump stoked confusion Friday by declaring the U.S. has "secured the Oil" in the Middle East amid continued fallout from the Turkish invasion of northern Syria that he enabled by pulling American troops out of the region.

It wasn't immediately clear what the president was talking about, as there were no publicly known developments in Syria or elsewhere in the Middle East relating to oil. White House aides did not return requests for comment.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. State Department investigation of Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state has found no evidence of deliberate mishandling of classified information by department employees.

The investigation, the results of which were released on Friday by Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley's office, centered on whether Clinton, who served as the top U.S. diplomat from 2009 to 2013, jeopardized classified information by using a private email server rather than a government one.

Read More Show Less