Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Tunnel Collapse At Major North Korean Nuclear Test Site Reportedly Kills 200
Japan's TV Asahi reports that about 200 North Koreans have died in a tunnel collapse at a nuclear test site in Punggye-ri, in North Korea's northeast.
In early September, North Korea conducted its most powerful nuclear test there, detonating a nuclear device under a mountain. Experts have said it was a hydrogen bomb about 10 times as powerful as the first atomic bombs dropped on Japan at the close of World War II.
Satellite imagery has revealed that the mountain above the test site has since suffered a series of landslides and seismic aftershocks thought to have resulted from the blast.
Satellite imagery of North Korea's nuclear test site showing landslides and damage after the blast.Map via Planet Labs/38 North/Business Insider
North Korean sources told TV Asahi that a tunnel collapsed on 100 workers and that an additional 100 who went in to rescue them also died under the unstable mountain.
The tunnels in and out of the test site had been damaged, and the workers may have been clearing or repairing them to resume nuclear testing.
If the test site is compromised, hazardous radioactive material left over from the blast may seep out.
If that debris were to reach China, Beijing would see that as an attack on its country, Jenny Town, the assistant director of the U.S.-Korea Institute and a managing editor at 38 North, previously told Business Insider.
More from Business Insider:
- North Korea reportedly stole South Korean submarine tech as it looks to field its own undersea nuclear force
- Trump will reportedly skip visiting the DMZ amid high tensions with North Korea and fears for his safety
- With all eyes on North Korea, Beijing looks ready to deploy fighter jets in the South China Sea
- Mattis explains how the U.S. would respond if North Korea launched a nuclear missile at America
- 3 U.S. carriers are now in the Pacific amid tensions with North Korea — here's what they bring with them
The U.S. Military Academy identified a cadet who has been missing since Friday evening as 20-year-old Kade Kurita.
A search began for Kurita after he failed to report for a scheduled military skills competition around 5:30pm on Friday. West Point officials said in the Tuesday press release that he is believed to still be nearby.
Vets can relive their childhood dreams of building massive block armies with free tickets to Legoland this November
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Liberty
Russian President Vladimir Putin says he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have made "momentous" decisions regarding Ankara's military offensive in northeast Syria, with both sides saying they had agreed to conduct joint military patrols in the tense region.
Russian and Turkish officials said a five-day U.S.-brokered truce had been extended for 150 hours, starting on midday on October 23, and that Kurdish militias would be required to clear out of a 30-kilometer buffer zone along the Turkish border.
A Navy lieutenant and his wife were arrested in a joint FBI and NCIS raid Thursday in the San Jose area.
The raid occurred at the home of Navy Lt. Fan Yang and his wife, Yang Yang.
Documents obtained by First Coast News say Fan Yang currently holds a top-secret U.S. security clearance and is actively serving in the Navy in a sensitive anti-submarine warfare unit. He was assigned to the Maritime Patrol Reconnaissance Weapons School at Naval Air Station Jacksonville.