Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
North Korea says US is 'misleading the public' on status of denuclearization talks
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
North Korea on Sunday accused the US of "misleading" the public on the status of nuclear talks a day after discussions between the two sides in Stockholm broke down within just hours following an eight-month stalemate.
The North Korean Foreign Ministry said the Trump administration was "misleading the public opinion by touting 'good discussions,'" The Washington Post reported, as it simultaneously warned that if the US does not change its approach by the end of the year then relations between the two countries "may immediately come to an end."
"We have no intention to hold such sickening negotiations as what happened this time before the US takes a substantial step," a North Korean foreign ministry spokesperson was quoted as saying in a state news report cited by The Wall Street Journal.
The talks in Stockholm fell apart after roughly eight and a half hours. Following the discussions, the two sides offered conflicting reports on the nature of the dialogue.
North Korea's top nuclear envoy, Kim Myong Gil, on Saturday said the meeting "failed to live up to our expectations and broke down."
Meanwhile, the State Department in a statement said comments from the North Korean delegation "do not reflect the content or the spirit of today's 8 1/2 hour discussion." The statement said the US "brought creative ideas and had good discussions" with its North Korean counterparts.
North Korea evidently disagrees fervently, and just days after it tested a new submarine-launched ballistic missile. The test, which took place on Wednesday, was the most provocative missile test conducted by Pyongyang since the denuclearization talks with the US began.
Amid the denuclearization talks, Trump has taken to boasting about his strong relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, widely considered one of the most repressive rulers in the world. But their publicly amicable relationship has done little to expedite the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, nor have any of their three meetings.
The US has said it's open to returning to talks in two weeks, but North Korea is pushing against resuming discussions as its state news accuses the US of "spreading a completely ungrounded story."
This is not the first time North Korea has pushed against the Trump administration's summary of talks between the two countries — they did so after Trump's second summit with Kim in Vietnam fell apart earlier this year. But it's yet another bump in the road for the Trump administration in the prolonged discussions with the North Koreans on its nuclear program and aggressive activities.
More from Business Insider:
- A US Army soldier who worked at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort uploaded photos of an underage girl to a Russian website, prosecutors say
- North Korea claims its 'significant' submarine-launched missile test succeeded
- Chinese troops apparently wore QR codes on their body armor in the massive 70th anniversary parade
U.S. Army aviation officials have launched an effort to restore full air assault capability to the 101st Airborne Division — a capability the Screaming Eagles have been without since 2015.
The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.
On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.
President Donald Trump belittled his former defense secretary, James Mattis, by characterizing him as the "world's most overrated general," according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.
The account from numerous officials came during an afternoon closed door meeting with congressional leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House on Wednesday. In the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly brought up dissenting views towards the president's decision to withdraw the vast majority of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria.
Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.
Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.
After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.
The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.
But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.