Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Trump, Kim Meet For The First Time In Historic North Korea Summit
Moments after shaking Kim's hand, Trump said "we will have a terrific relationship."
"I feel really great," Trump said alongside Kim. "We're going to have a great discussion."
Kim apparently echoed the sentiment: "It was not easy to get here ... the old prejudices and practices worked as obstacles on our way forward, but we overcame all of them and we are here today," Kim said through his interpreter.
U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with North Korea leader Kim Jong Un at the Capella resort on Sentosa Island Tuesday, June 12, 2018 in Singapore.Associated Press/Evan Vucci
Hours before meeting Kim, Trump railed against naysayers who criticized his decision to entertain Kim on an international stage. Kim's regime has been condemned by human-rights groups and security experts for numerous violations over the years.
"The fact that I am having a meeting is a major loss for the U.S., say the haters & losers," Trump said in a tweet. "We have our hostages, testing, research and all missile launches have stopped, and these pundits, who have called me wrong from the beginning, have nothing else they can say! We will be fine!"
Despite this being the first time a sitting U.S. president met with a North Korean leader, some foreign-policy experts expressed doubt about the meeting and theorized it would give Kim and his regime the global diplomatic legitimacy it has long craved.
The U.S., as part of a longstanding posture of isolating the North, has previously rejected the notion of meeting with that country's leader.
Former U.S. officials have also thrown cold water on the summit, which they say was hastily arranged. Summits typically are not held until after extensive backchannel negotiations between lower level officials. Trump's approach, however, has turned the typical diplomatic norms upside down, which has rankled some policy experts.
"This is what happens when you jump too early to a summit," Victor Cha, the former director for Asian affairs for the National Security Council and the former nominee for U.S. ambassador of South Korea, told The Washington Post in May. "If this breakdown means North Korea is no longer beholden to their missile-testing moratorium, that takes us to a very bad place."
The dramatic first season on the Korean Peninsula
The meeting between Kim and Trump is a stark shift from the fierce rhetoric the two leaders traded in 2017.
Last year, Pyongyang conducted a bevy of nuclear and missile tests that experts said was an indication the regime was in the advanced stages of development. In 2017, the regime reportedly launched 23 missiles, including its first intercontinental missile capable of reaching the U.S. mainland.
Analysis compiled by the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency and reported by The Washington Post in August made that threat even more real, finding that Pyongyang had successfully created a miniaturized nuclear warhead that could fit on a missile. The regime then conducted its most powerful nuclear test weeks later.
However, at the start of 2018, North Korea signaled it was willing to normalize ties with South Korea and the U.S.. After Pyongyang sent a delegation to participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Kim indicated that he intended to thaw the icy relations by agreeing to reestablish communication channels with the South. He met one-on-one with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in April.
"A new history starts now, an age of peace, from the starting point of history," Kim wrote in a guest book at South Korea's part of the border village of Panmunjom.
Moon and Kim signed the Panmunjom Declaration of Peace at the inter-Korean summit, outlining broad agreements that hinted at bringing a formal end to the Korean War, and to "boldly approach a new era of national reconciliation, peace and prosperity."
"The two leaders declare before our people of 80 million and the entire world there will be no more war on the Korean Peninsula and a new age of peace has begun," the declaration said.
Trump: A master negotiator or the apprentice?
Trump and his officials have largely credited Kim's willingness to conduct talks to the Trump administration's "maximum pressure" campaign on North Korea. The U.S. enacted sweeping sanctions that targeted the North's imports and exports, creating an economic vice that is believed to have been felt by Kim and North Korea's elite.
Proponents of the campaign agreed that the regime was feeling the squeeze. Leading up to the summit, North Korea made several concessions, including releasing three Korean-American captives and announcing it would destroy a major nuclear test site.
"In 2017, [the U.S. was] able to get more economic pressure on the regime than it's ever felt before," Cha said to TIME. "I was always of the view that that policy would work, because North Korea doesn't tend to lash out militarily when they feel economic pressure. They want to come to the negotiating table and see how they can get that pressure taken off."
Much to the chagrin of international activists, the Trump administration has reportedly set aside the issue of North Korean human-rights violation ahead of the summit.
Little is known about Trump's and Kim's demands; however, the U.S. is likely to advocate for the complete, verifiable, irreversible denuclearization (CVID) of the regime, as American officials have said in the months leading up to the summit.
Kim, on the other hand, is believed to be pushing for complete, verifiable, irreversible guarantee of North Korea's security (CVIG) — a security guarantee that seeks the removal of the U.S.'s nuclear defense umbrella in South Korea.
The two leaders have often been compared to each other due to their unpredictable shifts in policy. And North Korea's pattern of behavior in reneging on previous agreements may be factored into any demand Trump and his diplomats will make.
Regardless of the route North Korea takes during the summit and in the days afterward, Trump has signaled that even though talks between the two countries may be extended, time was of the essence.
"I feel that Kim Jong Un wants to do something great for his people, and he has that opportunity," Trump told reporters in Singapore. "And he won't have that opportunity again. It's never going to be there again."
Read more from Business Insider:
- Trump and Kim Jong Un just had their first private meeting — and officials may never know exactly what was said
- Trump-Kim summit: An 80-year-old Supreme Court table used for historic meeting
- A new era of diplomatic relations with North Korea is on the horizon — here's what's happened so far
- How long it might take North Korean missiles and nuclear warheads to reach major US cities
- Here's the moment President Donald Trump met Kim Jong Un for the first time — and gave North Korea everything it's ever wanted
As the US sends 1,000 more troops to Middle East, the Pentagon is a rudderless ship caught in a storm
The Pentagon is sending nearly 1,000 more troops to the Middle East as part of an escalating crisis with Iran that defense officials are struggling to explain.
While the U.S. government has publicly blamed Iran for recent attacks on merchant vessels in the Gulf of Oman, not a single U.S. official has provided a shred of proof linking Iran to the explosive devices found on the merchant ships.
At an off-camera briefing on Monday, Navy officials acknowledged that nothing in imagery released by the Pentagon shows Iranian Revolutionary Guards planting limpet mines on ships in the Gulf of Oman.
Investigation shows Lt. Col. in charge of Corps' 1st Recon was fired for alleged 'misconduct' but has not been charged
The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.
Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.
"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.
When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.
The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.
A Marine Raider convicted in a North Carolina court of misdemeanor assault for punching his girlfriend won't spend any time in jail unless he violates the terms of his probation, a court official told Task & Purpose.
On Monday, Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans received a suspended sentence of 60 days in jail, said Samantha Dooies, an assistant to the New Hanover County District Attorney.
Evans must complete 18 months of unsupervised probation, pay $8,000 in restitution, complete a domestic violence offenders program, and he cannot have any contact with his former girlfriend, Dooies told Task & Purpose. The special operations Marine is also only allowed to have access to firearms though the military while on base or deployed.