Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
NORTHCOM says it’s going to tighten security at all its bases after shootings last week
Security measures at U.S. military bases will be increased in the wake of the deadly shootings at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii and Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida.
In a message posted to Twitter, U.S. Northern Command, known as Northcom, said it has directed its installations to "immediately assess force protection measures and implement increased random security measures for their facilities."
The details of the increased measures were not announced.
Northcom, one of 11 combatant commands, provides military support for the continental U.S.
The messages comes following deadly shootings at the two naval facilities.
On Dec. 4, Navy sailor Gabriel Antonio Romero shot and killed two Department of Defense workers, Vincent Kapoi and Roldan Agustin, at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. Romero killed himself at the scene.
On Friday, Mohammed Alshamrani killed three people at NAS Pensacola: Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters. Alshamrani, who was killed by law enforcement at the scene, was a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force who was a trainee at Naval Aviation Schools Command in Pensacola.
The investigation into Alshamrani continues but officials have indicated it was likely linked to terrorism.
NAS Pensacola was open to mission-essential personnel only through the weekend. The National Naval Aviation Museum and Barrancas National Cemetery are closed until further notice.
©2019 Alabama Media Group, Birmingham - Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.
A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.
"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."
The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.
A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.