Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
NSA Leak Suspect Reality Winner Explains Why She Smuggled A Classified Report
A redacted transcript of an interview between FBI agents and Reality Winner, the 25-year old NSA contractor who allegedly leaked a classified report to a news outlet, revealed that she smuggled the report out of the NSA complex in Fort Gordon, Georgia by folding it into her pantyhose.
According to the transcript, published by Politico on Wednesday, Winner initially denied having mailed the classified report to the media, and instead, insisted she printed it and kept it on her desk for three days, after which she decided to discard it by putting it in a burn bag.
"I thought it was interesting and I thought I would read it," Winner said, according to the transcript. "And then I said no, and I need to not leave it out on my desk, so I put it in the burn bag."
After being pressed by the agents, Winner disclosed that she smuggled the report from the secured complex by "[folding] it in half in my pantyhose," before mailing it out.
Reality Winner mugshot
"I wasn't trying to ... wasn't trying to be a Snowden or anything," Winner said, referring to Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who leaked secrets from the NSA's spying program in 2013.
The leak, published on The Intercept in June, revealed an attempted hack by Russia's military intelligence unit during the contentious 2016 US presidential election. The report, dated May 5, said that Russia had performed a cyberattack on at least one US voting software supplier, along with sending phishing emails to over 100 election officials, days before voters headed to the polls, Politico reported.
At the time, it was considered to be the most detailed official account proving Russian interference in the US election, according to The Intercept.
Winner also voiced concerns as a linguist in the Iranian Aerospace Forces Office and the work environment: "I guess it's just been hard at work," Winner said. "And I've filed formal complaints about them having Fox News on, you know? Just at least, for God's sake, put Al Jazeera on, or a slideshow with people's pets. I've tried everything to get that changed."
When asked why she decided to leak the report, information that she knew was "valuable to adversaries," she said that she believed the secret "sources and methods" mentioned in the report were already known to the public.
"I just figured that whatever we were using had already been compromised, and that this report was just going to be like a one drop in the bucket," Winner said.
Winner admitted that she didn't check to see if the report was already compromised: "No, I wasn't smart enough to check that out," Winner said.
"I had, you know, seven, eight months left of a job that didn't mean anything to me because it's Iran, and I'm a Pashto linguist," Winner said. "Like, what am I doing translating Farsi?"
"I felt really hopeless and seeing that information that had been contested back and forth, back and forth in the public domain for so long, trying to figure out with everything else that keeps getting released and keeps getting leaked, why isn't this getting out there? Why can't this be public?"
Federal sentencing guidelines mandate a minimum prison sentence of nine years, according to prosecutors. Winner's trial is set to commence in March.
More from Business Insider:
- 25-year-old contractor accused of leaking a top-secret NSA document is facing charges
- How Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson could make a real run as president — according to someone who's known him since 1999
- Turkey threatens Kurdish oil pipeline after independence vote
- The Air Force is upgrading a Vietnam War-era missile to better target ISIS fighters
- The US may send B-2 bombers and F-22 stealth jets to South Korea — a potential nightmare for Pyongyang
Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.
In the wake of a heartwarming viral video that was featured everywhere from Good Morning America to the Daily Mail comes a disheartening revelation: The 84-year-old self-described Army nurse cranking out push-ups in her crisp Vietnam-era uniform might not be who she said she was.
Maggie DeSanti, allegedly a retired Army lieutenant colonel who rappeled out of helicopters in Vietnam, was captured in a video challenging a TSA agent to a push-up competition ahead of a flight to Washington, D.C., with the Arizona chapter of the organization Honor Flight on Oct. 16. The video soon was everywhere, and many who shared it, including Honor Flight, hailed DeSanti's toughness and spirit.
‘Nice girls don't join the military': New commander of Air Force refueling squadron proves her critics wrong
The summer before sixth grade, Cindy Dawson went to an air show with her father and was enamored by the flight maneuvers the pilots performed.
"I just thought that would be the coolest thing that anybody could ever do," she said, especially having already heard stories about her grandfather flying bombers during World War II with the Army Air Corps.
So by the first day of school, she had already decided what she wanted to be when she grew up.
We salute the 93-year-old WWII veteran who refuses to retire, and opened up a 'boozy bakery' instead
Peach schnapps, sex on the beach, piña colada may be familiar cocktails to anyone who's spent an afternoon (or a whole day) getting plastered on an ocean-side boardwalk, but they're also specialty desserts at Ray's Boozy Cupcakes, Etc, a bakery in Voorhees, New Jersey run by a 93-year-old World War II veteran named Ray Boutwell.
A former senior Coast Guard official has been accused of shoplifting from a Philadelphia sex shop.
Rear Adm. Francis "Stash" Pelkowski (Ret.) was accused of stealing a tester item from Kink Shoppe on Oct. 8, according to an Instagram post by the store that appeared online two days later. In the post, which included apparent security camera footage of the incident, a man can be seen looking at products on a counter before picking up an item and placing it in his pocket before turning and walking away.
The Instagram post identified the man as Pelkowski, and said it wished him "all the best in his retirement, a sincere thank you for your service, and extreme and utter disappointment in his personal morals."
SAN DIEGO —The Marines say changes in the way they train recruits and their notoriously hard-nosed drill instructors have led to fewer incidents of drill instructor misconduct, officials told the Union-Tribune.
Their statement about training followed an Oct. 5 Washington Post report revealing that more than 20 Marines at the San Diego boot camp have been disciplined for misconduct since 2017, including cases of physical attacks and racist and homophobic slurs. The story also was published in the Union-Tribune.