Overboard Marine Still Missing As Corps Ends Search And Rescue Efforts

Bullet Points

Five days of intensive search efforts for a Marine who fell overboard in the Sulu Sea have ended without locating the Marine, whose status is still officially “missing,” Corps officials said on Tuesday.

  • More than 110 aerial sorties were launched between August 9 and August 13 to look for the Marine, who was embarked on the amphibious assault ship Essex, according to a Tuesday news release from the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
  • U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Philippine ships and aircraft searched roughly 13,000 square nautical miles in the Sulu Sea, Mindanao Sea and the Surigao Straight.
  • “Only after exhausting every possibility through persistent and thorough search efforts, we have concluded the at-sea search and rescue effort for our Marine,” Navy Capt. Gerald Olin, commander, Amphibious Squadron One, said in the news release. “We appreciate the continued support provided to us from the U.S. Embassy and Philippine Government.”
  • Investigators are looking into the circumstances surrounding the Marine’s disappearance. He was reported missing and assumed overboard on August 9.
  • “All of our Marines and sailors demonstrated a tremendous resilience and put forth an extraordinary effort over the past five days, and I am humbled by the teamwork and professionalism displayed by all involved to find our Marine,” Col. Chandler Nelms, commanding officer of the 13th MEU, said in the news release. “Our thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with our Marine's family during this difficult time.”



Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less

Airman 1st Class Isaiah Edwards has been sentenced to 35 years in prison after a military jury found him guilty of murder in connection with the death of a fellow airman in Guam, Air Force officials announced on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less

It took four years for the Army to finally start fielding the much-hyped Joint Light Tactical Vehicles, and it took soldiers less than four days to destroy one.

Read More Show Less
Capt. Jonathan Turnbull. (U.S. Army)

A soldier remains in serious condition after being injured in the deadly ISIS bombing that killed two other U.S. service members, a DoD civilian, and a defense contractor in Syria last week, Stars and Stripes reports.

Read More Show Less

A Russian man got drunk as all hell and tried to hijack an airplane on Tuesday, according to Russian news agencies.

So, pretty much your typical day in Siberia. No seriously: As Reuters notes, "drunken incidents involving passengers on commercial flights in Russia are fairly common, though it is unusual for them to result in flights being diverted."

Read More Show Less