Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Pacific Recovery Team Finds Crashed Osprey, 3 Marines Declared Dead
Australian naval forces working with a U.S. amphibious group have located the Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey that crashed into the Pacific on Aug. 5, but Pentagon sources say three Marines still missing after the crash are now presumed dead.
Recovery teams were expected to use remote-controlled submersible vehicles to survey the sunken aircraft before sending divers down, the Australian ministry of defense told Reuters on Aug. 7. The operation was being led by Australian Navy divers “in conjunction with the U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Navy aboard USS Bonhomme Richard,” a spokesman for III Marine Expeditionary Force said Monday in a statement.
Separately, defense officials told Fox News that the last three missing Marines were dead and their next of kin had been notified. The names of those three were expected to be released later Monday or on Tuesday.
The cause of the tilt-rotor aircraft’s crash is still unclear. The Osprey was part of a U.S.-Australian naval exercise, Talisman Sabre 2017, involving the Bonhomme Richard expeditionary strike group and 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit between late June and early August. According to initial reports, the aircraft was on a landing approach to USS Green Bay during a training exercise when it crashed into the Pacific. Green Bay’s fantail helo deck was reportedly damaged, too.
The aircraft, assigned to 31st MEU’s Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 265, carried 21 Marine passengers and a crew of 5. All but three occupants were rescued in the hours after the crash. After more than 24 hours of searching for those three Marines, the service announced Sunday morning that it was suspending rescue operations and shifting to recovery efforts.
“The circumstances of the mishap are currently under investigation,” a spokesman for III Marine Expeditionary Force said.
This post has been updated with new information on the three missing Marines.
New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.
"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."
These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to be the culprits of the attacks on 2 Saudi oil fields. Here's what we know about them
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.
A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.
The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.
In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.
Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.
Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.