Pence: We won't be retiring the USS Truman after all

popular
Vice President Mike Pence (Photo: Glenn Fawcett)

Editor's Note: This article by Hope Hodge Seck originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The same day the nominee for next top officer of the Navy defended service plans to retire the carrier Harry S. Truman halfway through its planned service life, the vice president of the United States paid a visit to the carrier itself to deliver a message from the president himself: The Truman will stay open for business.


Vice President Mike Pence visited the Truman at its Norfolk homeport Tuesday, addressing a group of sailors after touring the ship. He spoke for roughly 20 minutes, hailing administration plans to invest heavily in shipbuilding and restore "the arsenal of democracy." After praising the crew of the Truman for its accomplishments on the carrier's most recent deployment in support of the fight against the Islamic State, Pence delivered his news.

"As we continue to fight Congress to make sure the military has the resources you need to accomplish your mission, President Donald Trump asked me to deliver a message to each and every one of you on the deck of the USS Truman," Pence said. "We are keeping the best carrier in the world in the fight. We are not retiring the Truman. The USS Harry S. Truman is going to be giving them hell for many more years to come."

However, it's not Congress that Trump will be fighting to keep the Truman in business, but the Navy itself. Service leaders have actually gone toe-to-toe with lawmakers to explain that retiring the Truman rather than investing in its midlife refueling availability will allow the Navy to spend more on new technology, including unmanned surface vessels and other cutting-edge developments.

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson and Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer have both said they're behind the plan to retire the Truman, and the nominee for next CNO, current Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Bill Moran, testified to Congress on Tuesday that he also supports the strategy.

Pence did not provide any additional details on how the Truman would be saved from retirement, but recounted the high points of its most recent eight-month deployment, which wrapped up in December.

"During each deployment in its prolific career, the USS Truman has taken the fight to the enemy on our terms on their soil, particularly when it comes to the battle against radical Islamic terrorism," he said. "The USS Truman launched over 2,000 sorties throughout the Middle East in the last year alone, and 7,500 sailors who serve in the Truman's carrier strike group played an essential part in crippling ISIS, bombarding their territory, I'm told, with nearly 1,600 precision munitions, the most of any carrier strike group. And now the ISIS caliphate's territory is no more. Job well done, Truman."

The Truman was commissioned in 1998; its midlife refueling overhaul had been tentatively scheduled for 2024.

-- Hope Hodge Seck can be reached at hope.seck@military.com. Follow her on Twitter at @HopeSeck.

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More