Pennsylvania Army National Guard recruiter arrested over child pornography

news
Nathan Clinger

A Pennsylvania Army National Guard recruiter was arrested over the weekend after his wife found he had allegedly taken videos on his phone of her 11-year-old daughter getting dressed and using the bathroom.


Nathan Clinger —first described as an Army recruiter but lated identified by the National Guard Bureau as a recruiter with the Pennsylvania Army National Guard — has been charged with pandering obscenity involving a minor, Task & Purpose confirmed with the Mahoning County Sheriff's Office.

Clinger's wife told police that Clinger "charged thousands of dollars to live pornographic websites" over recent months, The Vindicator reports. His ex-wife also claimed that she found child pornography on his computer, which he later destroyed after she confronted him about it.

Clinger nearly escaped charges through a procedural screw-up: the phone that Clinger's wife said held videos of her daughter was "logged into evidence," but the screen was shattered after the arresting officer placed the phone on the roof of his car, forgot about it, and began driving away.

Police Chief Brian Goodin told The Vindicator that Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation would be inspecting the phone in attempt to retrieve the material. Goodin also said that they don't believe the 11-year-old girl was physically assaulted.

The Struthers Municipal Court website says Clinger will appear before a judge on April 29th. He is currently being held on $75,000 bond, the Mahoning County Sheriff's Office confirmed.

Clinger deployed to Iraq with the 112th Infantry Regiment in 2008.

SEE ALSO: Airman At Minot AFB Arrested Over Hundreds Of Child Porn Images, Sexual Messages With Minors

Arizona Army National Guard soldiers with the 160th and 159th Financial Management Support Detachments qualify with the M249 squad automatic weapon at the Florence Military Reservation firing range on March 8, 2019. (U.S. Army/Spc. Laura Bauer)

The recruiting commercials for the Army Reserve proclaim "one weekend each month," but the real-life Army Reserve might as well say "hold my beer."

That's because the weekend "recruiting hook" — as it's called in a leaked document compiled by Army personnel for the new chief of staff — reveal that it's, well, kinda bullshit.

When they're not activated or deployed, most reservists and guardsmen spend one weekend a month on duty and two weeks a year training, according to the Army recruiting website. But that claim doesn't seem to square with reality.

"The Army Reserve is cashing in on uncompensated sacrifices of its Soldiers on a scale that must be in the tens of millions of dollars, and that is a violation of trust, stewardship, and the Army Values," one Army Reserve lieutenant colonel, who also complained that his battalion commander "demanded" that he be available at all times, told members of an Army Transition Team earlier this year.

Read More Show Less

According to an internal Army document, soldiers feel that the service's overwhelming focus on readiness is wearing down the force, and leading some unit leaders to fudge the truth on their unit's readiness.

"Soldiers in all three Army Components assess themselves and their unit as less ready to perform their wartime mission, despite an increased focus on readiness," reads the document, which was put together by the Army Transition Team for new Chief of Staff Gen. James McConville and obtained by Task & Purpose. "The drive to attain the highest levels of readiness has led some unit leaders to inaccurately report readiness."

Lt. Gen. Eric J. Wesley, who served as the director of the transition team, said in the document's opening that though the surveys conducted are not scientific, the feedback "is honest and emblematic of the force as a whole taken from seven installations and over 400 respondents."

Those surveyed were asked to weigh in on four questions — one of which being what the Army isn't doing right. One of the themes that emerged from the answers is that "[r]eadiness demands are breaking the force."

Read More Show Less

If you've paid even the slightest bit of attention in the last few years, you know that the Pentagon has been zeroing in on the threat that China and Russia pose, and the future battles it anticipates.

The Army has followed suit, pushing to modernize its force to be ready for whatever comes its way. As part of its modernization, the Army adopted the Multi-Domain Operations (MDO) concept, which serves as the Army's main war-fighting doctrine and lays the groundwork for how the force will fight near-peer threats like Russia and China across land, air, sea, cyber, and space.

But in an internal document obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army Transition Team for the new Chief of Staff, Gen. James McConville, argues that China poses a more immediate threat than Russia, so the Army needs make the Asia-Pacific region its priority while deploying "minimal current conventional forces" in Europe to deter Russia.

Read More Show Less

As the saying goes, you recruit the soldier, but you retain the family.

And according to internal documents obtained by Task & Purpose, the Army still has substantial work to do in addressing families' concerns.

Read More Show Less
The Marine Corps Exchange at Quantico (Photo: Valerie OBerry)

If you're a veteran with a VA service-connected disability rating, a former prisoner of war, or a Purple Heart recipient, the exchange, recreation facilities, and commissary on base will be opening their doors to you starting in 2020.

In what's being billed as the largest expansion of new shoppers in the military commissary system in 65 years, veterans will be allowed back into many of the same retail outlets they had access to while in uniform starting on Jan. 1, 2020, thanks to a measure put in to the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act.

Read More Show Less