Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
This NAS Pensacola shooting victim saved 'countless lives' during the attack, his brother says
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Joshua Kaleb Watson has been identified as one of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola, CBS News reported.
The 23-year-old Alabama native and Naval Academy graduate was named to the Academy's prestigious Commandant's and Dean's lists, and also competed on the rifle team, Alabama's WTVY reported.
Watson's brother wrote in a Facebook post reported by CBS that after his brother was shot, he alerted responders to the attack, saving "countless lives."
"My youngest brother gave his life for his country in a senseless shooting," Adam Watson wrote. "After being shot multiple times he made it outside and told the first response team where the shooter was and those details were invaluable."
"He died a hero and we are beyond proud," Watson added.
Watson was among four people, including the shooter, who died in the attack, according to a tally by the Escambia County Sheriff's Office, which said three were killed at the base and one died at a local hospital.
Seven other people, including two officers who were shot while responding to the attack, were injured when the shooter stormed a classroom and opened fire.
Initial reports said authorities had identified the suspect in the attack as a foreign national who was training at the base. The suspect was later identified as 2nd Lt. Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, an aviation officer in the Saudi Air Force who began training in the United States in 2017.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in a statement reported by the Associated Press that the Pentagon was continuing to monitor the attack in addition to an ongoing investigation into a shooting that came two days earlier at the Pearl Harbor base, where a Navy sailor shot two people before killing himself.
The AP reported that investigators were still probing the shooter's motive and possible ties to terrorism.
The U.S. Navy did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.
Read more from Business Insider:
- 'This has been a devastating week' — 4 people are dead after a shooting at a Florida naval base just 2 days after a fatal shooting at a base in Hawaii
- Suspect in deadly shooting at Florida naval base was reportedly a Saudi pilot in the U.S. for training
- An Air Force U-2 pilot shaved his whole body to get out of a drug test
About a dozen more US troops medevaced from Iraq over possible concussions following Iran's missile attack
In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.
Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.
But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.
The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.
Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.
On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.
To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.
GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.
O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.