Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Mattis Wants To Protect Wounded Warriors. The Pentagon Hasn’t Complied Yet
Every now and then, your friend and humble Pentagon correspondent has to poke the bear, and that means putting an uncomfortable question to Defense Secretary James Mattis.
Mattis has been very gracious so far: He has allowed this reporter to live. That’s all anyone can ask from a man who reportedly has laser beams in his eyes that can vaporize a miscreant at 15 clicks.
Most recently, Task & Purpose asked Mattis why the Pentagon has not updated its policy on separating non-deployable troops to exempt wounded warriors. On Feb. 14, the Defense Department announced that troops who “for any reason” are classified as unable to deploy for more than 12 consecutive months will be processed for administrative separation.
As written, the policy appears to apply to troops wounded in combat, but Mattis told reporters on Feb. 17 that wounded warriors need not worry about being administratively separated for convalescing from their injuries.
“If they were wounded in combat, and they want to stay in and they’ve lost their leg or something like this, and they can’t be a paratrooper anymore, then we’ll find a place to use them,” Mattis told reporters. “That’s a special category. They’ve earned that special status.”
However, the non-deployable policy has not yet been updated with Mattis’ caveat for wounded warriors, prompting this reporter to ask the secretary himself about it at a June 11 gaggle. The following is a transcript of the exchange.
Q: Mr. Secretary, you had said that wounded warriors would be exempt from the non-deployable policy. As far as I know, that hasn’t happened yet. What’s the delay?
A: What isn’t?
Q: If you’re not deployable for a certain amount of time, that you’ll be separated. You had said that wounded warriors would be exempt from this policy. As far as I know, there is no exemption as we speak. What is the delay?
A: There is no delay. Believe me. When I say it, that’s it.
Q: I understand, but it has to be written down, too.
Q: Because that’s how policy works.
A: Is it really? OK.
With that, Mattis took another question. The non-deployable policy will not take effect until Oct. 1, so the Pentagon still has a few months to put the secretary’s direction into writing. But after more than a week of pestering by T&P;, defense officials still could not say how long it will take to update the policy and why it has not been done already.
“The SecDef's policy on combat wounded is included in the DOD instruction which is currently undergoing coordination,” Air Force Maj. Carla Gleason, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said in an email. “Once the instruction is completed it will be available to the public.”
This reporter will keep on the case. If any readers have a better question that yours truly should ask Secretary Mattis, please let us know. Note: T&P; will not ask about UFOs – the aliens have asked us to respect their privacy.
Jeff Schogol covers the Pentagon for Task & Purpose. He has covered the military for 12 years and embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq and Haiti. Prior to joining T&P;, he covered the Marine Corps and Air Force at Military Times. Comments or thoughts to share? Send them to Jeff Schogol via email at email@example.com or direct message @JeffSchogol on Twitter.
The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.
On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.
Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.
Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.
After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.
The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.
But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Three U.S. diplomats have been removed from a train and briefly questioned by Russian authorities in the sensitive Arctic shipyard city of Severodvinsk, near the site of a mysterious explosion in August that killed five nuclear workers.
Russia's Interfax news agency reported on October 16 that the diplomats were taken off the train that runs between Severodvinsk and Nyonoksa around 6 p.m. on October 14.
The U.S. Coast Guard had ordered the owner of an illegal 45-foot charter boat, named "Sea You Twerk," to stop operating.
He didn't, the Coast Guard said.
Now, Dallas Lad, 38, will serve 30 days in federal prison, a judge ruled Friday. When he is released, Ladd of Miami Beach, who pleaded guilty, will not be able to own or go on a boat for three years.