Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
US troops won't try to stop a Turkish invasion of northeast Syria
While the Defense Department has not given Turkey the green light to invade northeast Syria, U.S. troops won't stop the Turks if they cross into territory held by Syrian Kurdish fighters, a defense official said on Monday.
The White House announced late on Sunday night that U.S. troops were withdrawing from northeast Syria because Turkey planned to launch "its long-planned operation" into the region.
On Monday, the U.S. military ceased flying joint air operations with Turkey along its border with Syria, said Pentagon spokeswoman Air Force Lt. Col. Carla Gleason. Turkey will also no longer receive continuous video surveillance of the Syrian border that had been provided by U.S. drones.
Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman stressed the Defense Department does "not endorse" any Turkish military incursion into Syria.
Both Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Army Gen, Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, have warned their Turkish counterparts that "unilateral action creates risks for Turkey," Hoffman said in a Monday statement.
"As the president has stated, Turkey would be responsible, along with European nations and others, for thousands of ISIS fighters who had been captured and defeated in the campaign lead by the United States," Hoffman said. "We will work with our other NATO allies and Coalition partners to reiterate to Turkey the possible destabilizing consequences of potential actions to Turkey, the region, and beyond."
A 2:03 p.m. tweet from Esper's official account reiterated Hoffman's message, but the tweet was subsequently deleted without any public explanation why.
The Defense Department's protestations may be moot at this point. An Israeli reporter tweeted video on Monday that purportedly showed Turkish artillery strikes on its border with Syria and Iraq.
U.S. Army aviation officials have launched an effort to restore full air assault capability to the 101st Airborne Division — a capability the Screaming Eagles have been without since 2015.
The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.
On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.
President Donald Trump belittled his former defense secretary, James Mattis, by characterizing him as the "world's most overrated general," according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.
The account from numerous officials came during an afternoon closed door meeting with congressional leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House on Wednesday. In the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly brought up dissenting views towards the president's decision to withdraw the vast majority of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria.
Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.
Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.
After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.
The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.
But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.