Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Pentagon is reportedly drawing up plans for a quick Afghanistan withdrawal just in case Trump abruptly orders one
The Defense Department is exploring its options to completely withdraw all U.S. troops deployed in Afghanistan, in the event President Donald Trump abruptly makes the decision, according to NBC News.
The ongoing planning, which was not explicitly directed by the White House, includes procedures for a completely withdrawal of U.S. forces within weeks, current and former officials reportedly said.
The Defense Department's move comes in the wake of Trump's decision to withdraw the majority of U.S. troops in Syria, as Turkish-backed forces embark on a campaign against Kurdish groups near the Syria-Turkey northeast border.
An official described the planning as "prudent," while another official called the recent actions in Syria as a potential "dress rehearsal" for Afghanistan, NBC News reported.
Trump initially recalled roughly two dozen service members in the immediate vicinity of the Turkish excursion into Syria, but later expanded that order to around 1,000 US troops in northern Syria. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Monday said that an undetermined, small number of U.S. troops could still be stationed in northeast Syria to secure oil fields and prevent ISIS from taking control.
The president has long cited his campaign promise to reduced the U.S. presence in the Middle East, and to limit the country's involvement in "endless wars."
"USA soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zones," Trump said in a now-deleted tweet on Sunday. "We have secured the Oil. Bringing soldiers home!"
Trump's decision to withdraw U.S. forces caught numerous military officials and lawmakers by surprise, and attracted bipartisan condemnation for what they characterized as an abandonment of U.S. allies and principles. Roughly 11,000 Kurds — who were allied with the U.S. in the region — were killed in the fight against ISIS, and many more were relied upon by the U.S. to evict the extremists from their strongholds.
"This impulsive decision by the president has undone all the gains we've made, thrown the region into further chaos, Iran is licking their chops, and if I'm an ISIS fighter, I've got a second lease on life," Sen. Lindsey Graham said during a Fox News interview on October 7. (On Sunday, in an about-face, Graham told Fox News he is "increasingly optimistic this could turn out very well.")
Former U.S. Central Command commander and retired Army Gen. Joseph Votel also condemned the withdrawal, and reflected on the U.S.'s reliance on the Kurds.
"Without it, President Donald Trump could not have declared the complete defeat of ISIS," Votel wrote of the Kurdish help against ISIS in Syria. Trump has frequently claimed ISIS has been unequivocally defeated.
The U.S. has pulled out 2,000 troops from Afghanistan so far this year, bringing the total number of forces in the country to around 13,000, Task & Purpose reported. Earlier in October, Esper said he was confident the U.S. military could withdraw thousands more troops without adversely affecting operations.
Esper, who visited Afghanistan on Monday, advised not to compare U.S. policy for Syria with that of Afghanistan.
"Very different situations, very different adversaries if you will, very different level of commitment," he said, according to NBC News. "Very clear policy direction on one.
"All these things should reassure Afghan allies and others they should not misinterpret our actions in the region in the recent week or so in regard to Syria and contrast that with Afghanistan," Esper added.
Read more from Business Insider:
- Trump's plans for pulling out of Syria were embarrassingly disrupted by Iraq, which said the US isn't allowed to redeploy on its soil
- The U.S. military has quietly pulled 2,000 troops out of Afghanistan over the past year without a Taliban peace deal
- Most U.S. troops left in Syria could be moved to Iraq as the Trump administration faces fallout over a possible ISIS resurgence
- The story behind a soldier's act of solidarity with the US allies Trump is leaving behind in Syria
- 7 stirring images of the birthday cruise the US Navy just threw for its 222-year-old warship
Beloved basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven other people were killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California on Sunday. Two days earlier, Army Spc. Antonio I. Moore was killed during a vehicle rollover accident while conducting route clearing operations in Syria.
Which one more deserves your grief and mourning? According to Maj. Gen. John R. Evans, commander of the U.S. Army Cadet Command, you only have enough energy for one.
A U.S. E-11A Battlefield Airborne Communications Node aircraft crashed on Monday on Afghanistan, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein has confirmed.
One person was injured by Sunday's rocket attack on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Task & Purpose was learned. The injury was described as mild and no one was medically evacuated from the embassy following the attack.
What it was like to liberate the Nazi death camp of Dachau, according to an Army veteran who was there
At age 23 in the spring of 1945, Guy Prestia was in the Army fighting his way across southern Germany when his unit walked into hell on earth — the Nazi death camp at Dachau.
"It was terrible. I never saw anything like those camps," said Prestia, 97, who still lives in his hometown of Ellwood City.
Against a blistering 56 mph wind, an F/A-18F Super Hornet laden with fuel roared off the flight deck of the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford and into the brilliant January sky.
Chalk up another step forward for America's newest and most expensive warship.
The Ford has been at sea since Jan. 16, accompanied by Navy test pilots flying a variety of aircraft. They're taking off and landing on the ship's 5 acre flight deck, taking notes and gathering data that will prove valuable for generations of pilots to come.
The Navy calls it aircraft compatibility testing, and the process marks an important new chapter for a first-in-class ship that has seen its share of challenges.
"We're establishing the launch and recovery capabilities for the history of this class, which is pretty amazing," said Capt. J.J. "Yank" Cummings, the Ford's commanding officer. "The crew is extremely proud, and they recognize the historic context of this."