The Philippines is terrified the US will drag it into a 'shooting war' with China in the South China Sea

news
China's Harbin (112) guided missile destroyer takes part in a week-long China-Russia navy exercise. (Associated Press photo)

Fearing the United States could drag it into a shooting war with China in the South China Sea, the Philippines is questioning its alliance with the U.S. and pushing for a review of its decades-old defense treaty with Washington.


The island nation's top defense official said Tuesday that the government should review the mutual defense pact signed nearly seven decades ago, arguing that the regional security environment has become "much more complex," The New York Times reported Tuesday.

"The Philippines is not in a conflict with anyone and will not be at war with anyone in the future," Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana stated, adding that the U.S. is much more likely to get involved in a war in the region than the Philippines.

"The United States, with the increased and frequent passage of its naval vessels in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), is more likely to be involved in a shooting war ... [and] the Philippines will be automatically involved."

The U.S. Navy routinely conducts freedom-of-navigation operations in the South China Sea, sailing warships past Chinese occupied features in a challenge to Beijing's discredited claims. These operations, which have already occurred twice this year, infuriate Beijing and have led to confrontation.

The Philippine defense chief suggested, as his country has before, that the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty needs to be re-examined and in many places clarified.

"I do not believe that ambiguity or vagueness of the Philippine-U.S. Mutual Defense Treaty will serve as a deterrent. In fact, it will cause confusion and chaos during a crisis," Lorenzana explained.

Last Friday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo attempted to reassure a nervous US ally, stressing that the US would defend the Philippines in the event of armed conflict, but Manila has its doubts.

"America said, 'We will protect you. We will — your backs are covered, I'm sure.' I said, 'It's okay,'" President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte said Sunday, according to the Philippine Star. "But the problem here is ... any declaration of war will pass Congress. You know how b***s*** America's Congress is."

Speaking Tuesday, Lorenzana called attention to America's failure to prevent the Chinese seizure and occupation of disputed territories in the South China Sea. "The U.S. did not stop it," he said.

But the biggest concern remains the possibility that the U.S. could pull the Philippines into a war with China, something the country is determined to avoid.

"It is not the lack of reassurance that worries me," Lorenzana said, "It is being involved in a war that we do not seek and do not want." Manila has maintained a conciliatory stance toward China since Duterte took office in 2016, with the president repeatedly remarking that he is not interested in a war with China, as that is a war his country cannot win.

The country, however, continues to press Beijing on Chinese encroachment into areas considered Philippine territory.

Read more from Business Insider:

SEE ALSO: China Swallowed Islands In The South China Sea. Now It Wants To Eat Djibouti Like Groceries

WATCH NEXT: FONOPs Are Not Fun Ops

No motive is yet known for last week's Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting tragedy, which appears to have been a random act of violence in which the sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and himself did not know them and did not plan his actions ahead of time, shipyard commander Capt. Greg Burton said in an "All Hands" message sent out Friday.

Machinist's Mate Auxiliary Fireman Gabriel Antonio Romero of San Antonio, an armed watch-stander on the attack submarine USS Columbia, shot three civilian workers Dec. 4 and then turned a gun on himself while the sub rested in dry dock 2 for a major overhaul, the Navy said.

"The investigation continues, but there is currently no known motive and no information to indicate the sailor knew any of the victims," Burton said.

Read More Show Less
A projectile is fired during North Korea's missile tests in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on November 28, 2019. (KCNA via Reuters)

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site, the latest in a string of developments aimed at "restraining and overpowering the nuclear threat of the U.S.", state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday.

The test was conducted on Friday at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred.

Read More Show Less

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.

Read More Show Less
Erik Prince arrives for the New York Young Republican Club Gala at The Yale Club of New York City in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., November 7, 2019. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Erik Prince, the controversial private security executive and prominent supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, made a secret visit to Venezuela last month and met Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, one of socialist leader Nicolas Maduro's closest and most outspoken allies, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers with 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, walk in what could be mistaken for another planet. Kandahar, Afghanistan, Dec. 25, 2011 (Army photo/Sgt. Ruth Pagan)

(Reuters Health) - While army suicides have historically decreased during wartime, that trend appears to have reversed in recent decades, a new study of U.S. records finds.

Researchers poring over nearly 200 years of data found that unlike earlier times when there was a decline in suicide rates among U.S. Army soldiers during and just after wars, the rate has risen significantly since 2004, according to the report in JAMA Network Open.

Read More Show Less