Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
'The Punisher' Pulled From New York Comic Con Because Of Vegas Shooting
Marvel and Netflix have cancelled the New York Comic Con panel for their upcoming action series, The Punisher, citing the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas as the reason. The panel was scheduled for Oct. 7.
“We are stunned and saddened by this week’s senseless act in Las Vegas,” Netflix and Marvel said in a joint statement. “After careful consideration, Netflix and Marvel have decided it wouldn’t be appropriate for Marvel’s The Punisher to participate in New York Comic Con. Our thoughts continue to be with the victims and those affected by this tragedy.”
The Punisher centers on the vigilante ass-kicking exploits of Frank Castle, a former Marine who embarks on a revenge-fueled rampage through New York City’s criminal underworld after his wife and children are murdered. Castle, a character first introduced by Marvel over 42 years ago, is played by Jon Bernthal.
The show’s latest official trailer, released on Sept. 20, features many scenes of people being killed by gunmen, beginning with Castle’s wife (played by Kelli Barrett), who gets shot pointblank in the head. But the most ruthless gunslinger of them all is the Punisher. That’s Castle’s nickname, in case you didn’t know.
The mass shooting carried out by 64-year-old Stephen Paddock in Las Vegas on the night of Oct. 1 was the deadliest in modern U.S. history. At least 58 people were killed and nearly 500 were wounded when Paddock rained gunfire on a country music concert from a 32nd floor suite at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.
Paddock, who committed suicide before police could reach him, was found in his suite with a large arsenal of firearms, including at least three AR-15-style rifles. The shooting has galvanized advocates for stricter gun regulations.
As Deadline notes, this isn’t the first time the premiere of a gun-heavy TV series has been postponed following a real-life mass shooting.
The debut of USA Network’s Shooter, starring Ryan Phillippe, was pushed back twice in the summer of 2016 — the first time after a sniper attack in Dallas on July 7, which left five police officers dead, and then again after a gunman killed three policeman in Baton Rouge on July 17.
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider
If you're in the market for a bunker in the southwest, you're in luck. A decommissioned missile complex is now on sale outside of Tucson for nearly $400,000. The complex was home to an armed Titan II missile for 24 years, before it was decommissioned in the 1980s.
The structure is listed with Grant Hampton at Realty Executives. Now, the home is back on the market, and these photos show what lies underground in Arizona.
The Marine Corps will investigate whether another Marine has ties to a white supremacist group after he allegedly made racist comments on neo Nazi message boards that have since been taken down, according to a Marine Corps official.
Vice News reporters Tess Owen and Tim Hume first reported on Nov. 8 that at least three people who posted on the new defunct Iron March message boards were service members, but their story did not include any of the troops' names.
Newsweek reporters James LaPorta and Asher Stockler were able to independently confirm the identity of one of those service members as an active-duty Marine: Lance Corporal Liam J. Collins, an 0311 Rifleman assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the United States knows the location of the third in command to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who killed himself last month during a U.S.-led raid.
"We have our eye on his third," Trump said during the question-and-answer session following a speech at the Economic Club of New York. "His third has got a lot of problems because we know where he is too."