Former Reality TV Star Pleads Guilty To DUI In Car Wreck That Killed Coast Guard Tech

news
U.S. Coast Guard/Public Domain

A former reality television show star charged with killing a Portsmouth Coast Guards member in a drunken driving crash last year entered pleas Friday to two misdemeanors.


But Melissa Hancock, who was a frequent guest on “Little Women: Atlanta” and appeared in court in a wheelchair, still faces a felony manslaughter charge.

The 25-year-old was injured in the Nov. 4 crash, suffering three fractures in her back, according to her attorney. She is being held without bond in the city’s jail while she awaits trial.

Hancock waived her right to a preliminary hearing on an aggravated DUI manslaughter charge and entered pleas of no contest to driving the wrong way on Interstate 264 and failing to obey a highway sign.

She was fined $150 for the two misdemeanors and given a trial date of May 23 for the manslaughter case. That charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and requires a minimum of one year in jail.

The crash occurred around 2 a.m. near the interstate’s Birdneck Road exit. Police said Hancock was driving her 2011 Cadillac the wrong way when she crashed head-on into a Mazda sedan driven by 29-year-old Daniel Dill.

Dill, a Coast Guard petty officer 2nd class, died the next day.

He was on his way to pick up his wife and her friends, who were out celebrating her birthday. Dill had agreed to be their designated driver.

Hancock told a state trooper she had two to four drinks at Peabody’s Nightclub at the Oceanfront about an hour before the crash. Her blood alcohol content was somewhere between 0.17 and 0.19, according to prosecutors. The legal limit in Virginia is 0.08 percent.

Hancock, who had just moved to Virginia Beach a few weeks before, was working in insurance sales, according to a bail determination sheet in her court file. She has prior convictions for marijuana possession and reckless driving.

———

©2018 The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk, Va.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less