Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Marine vet Rob Riggle to travel the world as a 'global investigator' for Discovery
Marine Corps veteran Rob Riggle has enjoyed an amazing post-military career as a comedian, actor and creator of funny videos for the FOX NFL pregame show. Now, he's going to put his self-proclaimed "extensive knowledge of everything" to use as host of the Discovery Channel series "Rob Riggle: Global Investigator."
Riggle will travel the world to investigate legends and solve some of the planet's greatest mysteries. Discovery says that early episodes will focus on new discoveries related to ancient mammoths in Alaska and a lost pirate ship in the Caribbean.
The actor's most notable role is his performance as Lt. Col. Max Bowers in "12 Strong." Bowers was Riggle's real-life commander when he served in Afghanistan in the perilous early days of the invasion the United States launched after 9/11.
Rob made his Discovery debut last summer when he trained with NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal for a shark dive on the show "Shaq Does Shark Week." Check out what happened in the video below.
Riggle's upcoming projects include a role with Robert De Niro in the comedy "The War With Grandpa" and working as the color commentator for NBA star Steph Curry's upcoming ABC miniature golf competition series "Holey Moley."
This article originally appeared on Military.com
More articles from Military.com:
- America's Funniest Marine Gets Serious in the New Afghanistan War Movie '12 Strong'
- How This World War II Vet Became James Bond's Fixer
- Was Hitler a Junkie?
WATCH NEXT: Rob Riggle At 'Rock The Troops'
Kade Kurita, the 20-year-old West Point cadet who had been missing since Friday evening, was found dead on Tuesday night, the U.S. Military Academy announced early Wednesday morning.
"We are grieving this loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to Cadet Kurita's family and friends," Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, superintendent of West Point, said in the release.
The Air Force is investigating whether an airman smoked weed at a missile alert facility for nuclear Minuteman ICBMs
The Air Force is investigating reports that an airman consumed marijuana while assigned to one of the highly-sensitive missile alert facility (MAF) responsible for overseeing 400 nuclear GM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota.
Mark Mitchell is stepping down as the acting assistant defense secretary for special operations and low-intensity conflict, a position he has held since late June, a defense official confirmed on Tuesday.
No information was immediately available about why Mitchell decided to resign. His last day will be Nov. 1 and he will be replaced by Thomas Alexander, who is currently leading the Defense Department's counternarcotics efforts, the defense official told Task & Purpose.
The U.S. Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon effort looked a lot more possible this week as the three competing weapons firms displayed their prototype 6.8mm rifles and automatic rifles at the 2019 Association of the United States Army's annual meeting.
Just two months ago, the Army selected General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems inc., Textron Systems and Sig Sauer Inc. for the final phase of the NGSW effort — one of the service's top modernization priorities to replace the 5.56mm M4A1 carbine and the M249 squad automatic weapon in infantry and other close-combat units.
Army officials, as well as the companies in competition, have been guarded about specific details, but the end result will equip combat squads with weapons that fire a specially designed 6.8mm projectile, capable of penetrating enemy body armor at ranges well beyond the current M855A1 5.56mm round.
There have previously been glimpses of weapons from two firms, but this year's AUSA was the first time all three competitors displayed their prototype weapons, which are distinctly different from one another.
US troops withdrawing to Iraq from Syria can't redeploy there and have to leave in 4 weeks, Baghdad says
The 1,000 U.S. troops leaving Syria will be allowed to stay in Iraq for at most four weeks, Iraq's defense minister said Wednesday, in an embarrassing rebuff to President Donald Trump's plans for withdrawing from Syria.
Najah al-Shammari's comments to the Associated Press came shortly after his meeting with U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who went to Baghdad to negotiate the redeployment of U.S. troops in Iraq after they withdrew from Syria.