Lawmaker Demands Answers Over 'Botched' Walter Reed Active Shooter Lockdown

An aerial shot of police cars responding to an active shooter alert at Walter Reed on Nov. 27, 2018
Screenshot ABC News

Maryland Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger was demanding answers Tuesday from the Pentagon after experiencing firsthand an active-shooter lockdown at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, which officials alternately blamed afterward on a “false alarm” and an inadvertent mass notification made by staff preparing for a drill.

“It was botched. Somebody messed up,” Ruppersberger said. “I’m going to get with the Pentagon and find out how this happened.”

Ruppersberger, who sits on the House committee that handles defense appropriations, said he had just finished a personal medical appointment at the facility, the nation’s largest joint military medical center, when “somebody came up who works at the hospital and said, ‘We're sorry, there's an active shooter, you have to get in this back room.’”

He and about 40 others were then ushered through a pharmacy into a back conference room, where the doors were barricaded and the blinds were drawn as sirens could be heard approaching outside, he said. A message played at intervals over an intercom system saying there was an active shooter in the building. Emotions were raw.

“There were a lot of people who were very concerned and upset,” Ruppersberger said. “There was a lady next to me crying on the phone because her husband was also at the hospital in another spot.”

Ruppersberger tweeted that he was at the hospital and “currently safe in a conference room” with others about 2:30 p.m.

Outside, confusion reigned as to what was occurring at the facility.

A spokesman for the Naval Support Activity Bethesda, which handles base operational support at the hospital, said the facility was on lockdown and that security personnel were sweeping the grounds but hadn’t found any evidence of a shooter. A Montgomery County police spokeswoman confirmed officers received a call reporting a possible active shooter and were responding to the scene in a “support and assist” capacity.

U.S. Navy and a Department of Defense spokeswoman then said the incident was a “drill,” without providing an explanation. Naval Support Activity Bethesda followed that up by saying they had received a call about an active shooter that was “a false alarm and not part of a scheduled drill.”

Then, the U.S. Navy said the incident was the result of an “improper use” of a mass notification system.

“While preparing for an upcoming drill, the notification system was inadvertently enacted without containing the words ‘EXERCISE’ or ‘DRILL,’” and people who saw the message alerted security, it said. Security then “responded accordingly and instituted an installation-wide active shooter response.”

Ruppersberger said when the “all clear” was given about 3:20 p.m., and he heard from his staff that some military officials were saying it had all been a drill, he was angry — mostly on behalf of the military men and women receiving care in the facility, some of whom have been recently wounded in overseas conflicts, he said.

“What bothers me is that you have people with post-traumatic stress, you have people in that hospital who are really hurting and have problems, you have amputees,” Ruppersberger said. “To me, that’s not the way you do a drill and teach people how to deal with a situation like that.”

Just after 3:30 p.m., another tweet came from the congressman: “We've been given the all clear at Walter Reed — at no point was there any indication that this was a drill.”

Ruppersberger, a former prosecutor and Ocean City police officer, said he was not scared himself during the ordeal, just trying to remain calm and help others remain calm by talking with them.

He now wants to have more conversations, but with military leaders — about the nature of the incident, the ensuing confusion, the Montgomery County police resources that were expended, and the “anxiety that was caused” for those in the hospital.

“Something went wrong,” he said, “and I’m going to find out how so it doesn’t happen again.”


©2018 The Baltimore Sun. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


The submarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) sits anchored at Ulithi Atoll, Dec. 7, 2019 (Navy photo/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Richard A. Miller)

The Navy is investigating dozens of videos of service members changing in a bathroom which were then shared on the website PornHub, according to a NBC News report.

According to the report, an agent from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service found the videos on PornHub earlier this month. The videos, which have since been taken down, show civilians, sailors and Marines, some of whom have visible name tapes.

Read More
U.S. Army/Jaerett Engeseth

We already knew that Army Rangers were a unique breed of badass, but performing real-time blood transfusions while under enemy fire on the battlefield takes it to an entirely new level.

Read More

An upcoming comedy show is boldly mocking what everyone else is, well, already mocking: The Space Force.

Read More
The Kremlin

Editor's Note: The following is an op-ed. The opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Task & Purpose.

A recent report from the Vietnam Veterans of America says that American vets are targeted by Russians and other adversarial governments online. Specifically, there are many Facebook pages and other social media catering to vets that are really operated by foreign entities.

Some may ask, so what? If the pages are fun, why does it matter who runs them? The intelligence officer in Moscow isn't running a Facebook page for American veterans because he has an intense interest in motivational t-shirts and YouTube rants in pickup trucks.

He's doing it to undermine the political and social fabric of the United States.

Read More
A C-17 Globemaster III banks in the early morning light after paratroopers assigned to the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, U.S. Army Alaska, conducted a parachute jump on Malemute drop zone at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, Dec. 11, 2019. (U.S. Air Force photo/Justin Connaher)

An Alaska-based airman died on Thursday after local police shot him for brandishing a shotgun in front of them. The airman, 26-year-old Tech Sgt. Gage Southard, was assigned to 673rd Communications Squadron at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, base officials said in a statement sent to Task & Purpose.

"The loss of Tech. Sgt. Southard is devastating," said Col. Patricia Csànk, Joint Base Commander. "My deepest condolences and prayers are with Tech. Sgt. Southard's wife and family, and his fellow Airmen. This is a tragedy for our entire team."

Read More