Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A Look At The Admiral Kuznetsov, Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier And Floating Garbage Pile
Russia's only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, is one of the five worst carriers in the world, according to The National Interest.
In October 2016, the Kuznetsov was sailing to Syria through the English Channel on a combat deployment when it was spotted belching thick clouds of black smoke.
"The main problem with the ship is that is has a very problematic propulsion system," Dmitry Gorenburg, a senior research scientist at the Center for Naval Analyses, previously told Business Insider. "It's just unreliable."
Before it was sent back to the yards for repairs, the Kuznetsov was always accompanied by a special tugboat in case it broke down, and the plumbing was said to be so bad that most of its toilets didn't work.
It's being refitted at Russia's 35th Ship Repairing Yard in Murmansk and won't be ready to return until 2021.
Inside the Admiral Kuznetsov
Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov in 2012Russian Ministry of Defense/Wikimedia Commons
The Kuznetsov was laid down in 1983 but not commissioned until 1990.
Kuznetsov-class carriers are about 930 feet long, 235 feet wide, and 210 feet high. They also have a maximum displacement of about 59,000 tons.
Kuznetsov-class carriers are powered by eight turbo-pressurized boilers, four steam turbines, and six diesel generators, bringing the carrier to a maximum speed of about 33 mph.
A defensive beast
Sukhoi Su-33 launching from the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral KuznetsovRussian Ministry of Defense
Kuznetsov-class carriers have a crew of 1,600 sailors. But unlike U.S. carriers, the Kuznetsov was built as a defense carrier.
It's armed with 12 P-700 Granit anti-ship cruise missiles (housed in silos underneath its flight deck), a Kinzhal air defense missile system armed with about 200 anti-air missiles, one Udav-1 anti-torpedo multiple launch rocket system, and eight Kashtan air defense gun/missile systems.
The naval missile and anti-aircraft artillery weapon system Pantsir-ME developed by the Tula KBP aboard the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral KuznetsovRostec
The Kuznetsov will also be fitted with a Pantsir-M/EM air defense system with eight 57E6-E surface-to-air missile launchers — as well as two GSh-6-30K/AO-18KD 30mm six-barrel rotary cannons — upon its return from the shipyard.
It can also carry up to 41 aircraft, including Su-27s, Su-33s, MiG-29s, as well as Ka-27, Ka-31, and Ka-52K helicopters.
It's getting old
Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov undergoing repairs on June 27, 2015Jared Keller
According to The National Interest, the end of the Soviet Union "also meant the collapse of funding for the carrier project," leaving the Kuznetsov to languish without substantial upgrades. The flight deck has a built-in ski jump, angled at 12 degrees, to help with takeoffs. The aircraft are brought up from the hangar bay using an elevator.
The elevator aboard Russian aircraft carrier Admiral KuznetsovRussian Ministry of Defense
The Kuznetsov is set to return to service in 2021, but it may take longer. The Diplomat reported in 2016: "All Soviet carriers were constructed in Ukraine and Russia has lost valuable expertise and technology — particularly surface ship propulsion technology — due to the ongoing crisis in Ukraine."
Read more from Business Insider:
- Sweden is sending its citizens Cold War-style instructions on what to do 'if crisis or war comes'
- Trump has been accused of going easy on authoritarian leaders — here's why the White House says Venezuela is different
- Trump is doubling down on calling MS-13 gang members 'violent animals'
- Trump's lauded North Korea summit increasingly looks set to blow up in his face
- Pompeo sends a warning to Iran in his first major policy speech as secretary of state
ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey would press on with its offensive into northeastern Syria and "crush the heads of terrorists" if a deal with Washington on the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the area were not fully implemented.
Erdogan agreed on Thursday in talks with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a five-day pause in the offensive to allow time for the Kurdish fighters to withdraw from a "safe zone" Turkey aims to establish in northeast Syria near the Turkish border.
President Trump stoked confusion Friday by declaring the U.S. has "secured the Oil" in the Middle East amid continued fallout from the Turkish invasion of northern Syria that he enabled by pulling American troops out of the region.
It wasn't immediately clear what the president was talking about, as there were no publicly known developments in Syria or elsewhere in the Middle East relating to oil. White House aides did not return requests for comment.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. State Department investigation of Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state has found no evidence of deliberate mishandling of classified information by department employees.
The investigation, the results of which were released on Friday by Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley's office, centered on whether Clinton, who served as the top U.S. diplomat from 2009 to 2013, jeopardized classified information by using a private email server rather than a government one.
BYESVILLE — A Meadowbrook High School student removed from class last Friday for being intoxicated is now facing a felony charge after allegedly threatening to shoot people if the previous incident harmed his chances to join a branch of the United States military.
Gabriel D. Blackledge, 18, of Cambridge, is facing one count of making terrorist threats, a third-degree felony, filed by the Guernsey County Sheriff's Office on Thursday. Blackledge remained incarcerated in the county jail on a $250,000 bond with no 10 percent allowed, according to the sheriff's office's website.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.