Watch A Russian Naval Parade Go Horribly Wrong Before Putin's Eyes

Military Tech
Screenshot/Defence Blog via Twitter

Russia celebrated its Navy Day on Sunday with a naval parade on the Neva River in St. Petersburg, a day of pomp and military power which Russian President Vladimir Putin himself attended.


The parade, which involved 40 warships, 38 aircraft, and about 4,000 troops, was majestically unfolding when a Serna-class landing craft collided with a bridge. Oops.

The video below shows the Ivan Pas'ko going about 8 to ten knots as it collides with the bridge, jolting and even knocking over some of the crew that had been standing at attention.

&ref;_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Frussian-navy-was-set-to-impress-putin-on-navy-day-then-this-happened-2018-7

It's unclear how the incident happened, and there were no reports of injuries, but the bridge and ship were partially damaged, according to Defence Blog, which first reported the incident. Some egos were likely scraped up, as well.

The "Russian Navy will get 26 new warships, boats and vessels, four of them equipped with Kalibr missiles," Putin said during a speech at the parade, according to TASS, a Russian state-owned media outlet.

Moscow, to be sure, has a history of making predictions about its new platforms that don't always come to pass, such as its new T-14 Armata tank, which the Russian Army will not be purchasing anytime soon despite several previous claims to the contrary.

At the same, the Russian Navy appears to have just received a new capable-looking stealth frigate, the Admiral Gorshkov, which is the first of Moscow's new class of stealth frigates.

Read more from Business Insider:

WATCH NEXT:

(U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland)

GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.

Read More Show Less
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less