A Russian Air Force Tupolev Tu-154B2 in 2008. (Wikimedia Commons/Kirill Naumenko)
A Russian surveillance jet based out of Travis Air Force Base in northern California has been enjoying access to restricted air space that are off limits to U.S. passenger planes since last week.
In turn, Russia has allowed U.S. spy planes to fly over its nation's most sensitive military bases.
The arrangement is in accordance with the Treaty on Open Skies, according to CBS Sacramento, which has spotted the Russian jets doing their part. The 27-year-old peacekeeping effort allows both countries to monitor one-another's military assets. The transparency agreement extends to 32 other nations.
The Russian jet surveying West Coast sites including Point Mugu, Coronado Island and Camp Pendleton, is a reportedly a Tupolev 154. The plane, operating with the blessing of the White House, can snap high-resolution photos while in flight. U.S. observers were on board the Tu-154 during its monitoring missions, according to CBS.
The Tu-154 fleet was introduced in 1968 and has seen various incarnations for both military and civilian use. The planes have reportedly experienced almost 40 accidents over the past 50-years, including a fatal crash on Christmas Day 2016 that killed 92 military members. The Russian government temporarily grounded the fleet following that tragedy.
Open Skies exercises this week were Russia's first over the U.S. in 2019. American surveillance planes last took flight over Russia in December after Russian navy vessels detained three Ukrainian ships. U.S. officials said that exercise served as an affirmation to allies including Ukraine that the west was keeping an eye on matters abroad.
Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials are warning soldiers and military families to be aware of scammers using the Exchange's logo.
In a news release Wednesday, Exchange officials said scammers using the name "Exchange Inc." have "fooled" soldiers and airmen to broker the sale of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and boat engines.
KABUL (Reuters) - The Islamic State (IS) militant group claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide blast at a wedding reception in Afghanistan that killed 63 people, underlining the dangers the country faces even if the Taliban agrees a pact with the United States.
The Saturday night attack came as the Taliban and the United States try to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with Afghanistan's U.S.-backed government.
Islamic State fighters, who first appeared in Afghanistan in 2014 and have since made inroads in the east and north, are not involved in the talks. They are battling government and U.S.-led international forces and the Taliban.
The group, in a statement on the messaging website Telegram, claimed responsibility for the attack at a west Kabul wedding hall in a minority Shi'ite neighborhood, saying its bomber had been able to infiltrate the reception and detonate his explosives in the crowd of "infidels".
Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.
In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.