Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Saudi Arabia Confirms Death Of Washington Post Columnist Jamal Khashoggi
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Saudi Arabia has confirmed the death of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi on Friday.
Khashoggi, a Saudi national who was also a legal US resident with a green card, had been living in Virginia. He was last seen walking into the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, on October 2.
"Discussions between citizen Jamal Khashoggi and those who met him while he was in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul led to a quarrel and a physical confrontation, which resulted in his death," the Saudi government said in a statement, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Saudi court officials reported that Khashoggi, who was being interrogated, died in a chokehold, according to CNN.
Around 18 suspects have been detained by the Saudis and a top general was dismissed, according to Saudi media reports cited by CNN. The majority of the suspects included 15 Saudis who reportedly flew in from Riyadh the same day as Khashoggi's disappearance.
A close aide to the Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman was also reportedly dismissed.
Saudi Arabia previously denied any involvement in Khashoggi's disappearance and claimed, without evidence, that he left the consulate on the same afternoon of his visit.
After his disappearance, Turkish authorities alleged that Khashoggi was brutally murdered, citing an acquired audio recording as evidence.
US and Saudi Arabia were also privy to the recording, which reportedly indicated Khashoggi was drugged, beaten, and dismembered, according to officials cited in Turkish media reports. CIA officials reportedly listended to the recording, which proved Khashoggi was killed and dimembered by the Saudis, people familiar with the situation said to The Washington Post.
Khashoggi's disappearance prompted fierce criticism of Saudi Arabia and the crown prince, who had been seen by some as a populist reformer. Khashoggi was an outspoken critic of the Kingdom and the prince, and reportedly feared for his safety before his disappearance.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Saudi Arabia this week and said he had "candid conversations" with the Saudi leadership. According to Pompeo, the Saudis "strongly denied" having prior knowledge of whatever took place in the consulate and pledged to conduct a "thorough, transparent, and timely investigation."
President Donald Trump acknowledged on Thursday that, based on the available intelligence, Khashoggi was likely dead.
"Unless the miracle of all miracles happens, I would acknowledge that he's dead," Trump said to The New York Times. "That's based on everything — intelligence coming from every side."
Trump said previously that there would be "very severe" consequences if Saudi Arabia was discovered to be responsible for Khashoggi's death.
"I think we'll be making a statement, a very strong statement," Trump said. "But we're waiting for the results of about — there are three different investigations, and we should be able to get to the bottom fairly soon."
The White House described Khashoggi's death as a "tragic incident" and said it would "continue to closely follow the international investigations."
"We are saddened to hear confirmation of Mr. Khashoggi's death, and we offer our deepest condolences to his family, fiancée, and friends," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.
Since Khashoggi's disappearance and the conflicting accounts from Saudi Arabia that followed, US officials, businesses and entrepreneurs have distanced themselves from the Kingdom. News organizations like The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times, have pulled their sponsorships from Saudi Arabia's Future Investment Initiative conference, better known as "Davos in the Desert," in Riyadh.
Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff of California threw cold water on the Saudi explanation that Khashoggi was accidentally killed: "If Khashoggi was fighting inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, he was fighting for his life with people sent to capture or kill him," Schiff said in a statement.
"The Kingdom and all involved in this brutal murder must be held accountable, and if the Trump Administration will not take the lead, Congress must." Schiff said.
More from Business Insider:
- Turkey says it won't allow a 'cover-up' about Jamal Khashoggi after Saudi Arabia's explanation of his death prompts derision
- A US aircraft carrier is in the frigid waters north of the Arctic Circle for the first time since the Soviet Union collapsed
- The life of Afghan Gen. Abdul Raziq, whose assassination Thursday was a huge Taliban victory
- Over 70,000 tons of British sea power just sailed into New York, and the photos are stunning
- Apple CEO Tim Cook demands Bloomberg retract its report on Chinese chip hacking: 'There is no truth in their story'
The Navy has fired five senior leaders so far in August – and the month isn't even over.
While the sea service is famous for instilling in officers that they are responsible for any wrongdoing by their sailors – whether they are aware of the infractions or not – the recent rash of firings is a lot, even for the Navy.
A Navy spokesman said there is no connection between any of the five officers relieved of command, adding that each relief is looked at separately.
'We are a people organization' — Army leaders push renewed focus on soldiers amid rise in sexual assaults and suicides
After months of focusing on modernization priorities, Army leadership plans to tackle persisting personnel issues in the coming years.
Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said Tuesday at an event with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies that what people can to hear service leadership "talk a lot about ... our people. Investing in our people, so that they can reach their potential. ... We are a people organization."
Two U.S. military service members were killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday, the Resolute Support mission announced in a press release.
Their identities are being withheld pending notification of next of kin, the command added.
A total of 16 U.S. troops have died in Afghanistan so far in 2019. Fourteen of those service members have died in combat including two service members killed in an apparent insider attack on July 29.
Two U.S. troops in Afghanistan have been killed in non-combat incidents and a sailor from the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln was declared dead after falling overboard while the ship was supporting operations in Afghanistan.
At least two defense contractors have also been killed in Afghanistan. One was a Navy veteran and the other had served in the Army.
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's paramilitary groups on Wednesday blamed a series of recent blasts at their weapons depots and bases on the United States and Israel.
The statement from the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), the umbrella grouping of Iraq's mostly Shi'ite Muslim paramilitary groups, many of which are backed by Iran, said the United States had allowed four Israeli drones to enter the region accompanying U.S. forces and carry out missions on Iraqi territory.