Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
SEAL and Marine Raider accused of murdering Green Beret to go on trial next year
A Navy SEAL and Marine Raider charged with murder in connection with the death of Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar will face a general court-martial this spring, the Navy has announced.
The trial for Navy Chief Special Warfare Operator Tony E. Dedolph, who is accused of placing Melgar in a chokehold until he died, is expected to last from March 23 to April 3, according to Navy Region Mid-Atlantic. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Mario A. Madero-Rodriguez's court-martial is slated to last from April 20 until May 1.
Both men face a maximum punishment of life in prison without the possibility of parole, reduction in rank to E-1, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a punitive discharge if they are convicted of murder.
Melgar died on June 4, 2017, in Bamako, Mali, after he was allegedly assaulted by four U.S. special operators, a British service member, and a Malian security guard, who allegedly planned to make a video of Melgar being sexually assaulted.
Matthews, who is being investigated for allegedly trying to flirt with Melgar's widow as part of a ruse to deceive her, was sentenced to one year in prison. Maxwell received a four-year prison sentence.
A collision between a Coast Guard boat and a Navy vessel near Kodiak Island, Alaska on Wednesday landed six coasties and three sailors to the hospital, officials said.
The Navy has identified the two Defense Department civilians who were killed in a shooting Wednesday at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii.
A shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida has left four people dead, including the gunman, law enforcement officials said at a Friday news conference.
The shooter and two victims were killed at the base and another victim died after being taken to the hospital, said Chip Simmons, deputy chief of the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.
Another seven people remain hospitalized, including two sheriff's deputies who engaged the gunman, Simmons said at Friday's news conference. One was hit in the arm and the other was shot in the knee. Both are expected to recover.
Widespread sexism and gender bias in the Marine Corps hasn't stopped hundreds of female Marines from striving for the branch's most dangerous, respected and selective jobs.
Six years after the Pentagon officially opened combat roles to women in 2013, 613 female Marines and sailors now serve in them, according to new data released by the Marine Corps.
"Females are now represented in every previously-restricted occupational field," reads a powerpoint released this month on the Marine Corps Integration Implementation Plan (MCIIP), which notes that 60% of those female Marines and sailors now serving in previously-restricted units joined those units in the past year.
The troubled 22-year-old Pearl Harbor sailor identified as shooting three shipyard workers Wednesday and then killing himself may have come from a troubled ship.
Gabriel Romero, a sailor on the submarine USS Columbia, fatally shot two civilian workers and wounded a third while the Los Angeles-class vessel is in Dry Dock 2 for a two-year overhaul, according to The Associated Press and other sources.
Romero "opened fire on shipyard personnel with his M-4 service rifle and then turned his M9 service pistol on himself," Fox News Pentagon reporter Lucas Tomlinson reported, citing a preliminary incident report.
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam was not able to provide information Thursday on a report that multiple suicides have occurred on the Columbia.
Hawaii News Now said Romero was undergoing disciplinary review and was enrolled in anger management classes.